Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 XCx - Routing for Sat Nav cable to battery?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
Re: 2018 XCx - Routing for Sat Nav cable to battery?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 07:37:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cadence [+]
I did consider the white plug near the alarm socket and read the excellent post about this, but then discounted that after I read about the pending Bluetooth dongle due this spring.

But the Blue Tooth dongle will provide only limited turn-by-turn navigation with the Triumph app, and Go-Pro connectivity.
If you're wiring in a pukka full screen sat nav, why would you want the lesser Triumph navigation as well?
From what I can gather, the dongle won't be cheap either.

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 09:12:13 AM »
Apart from pointing out that the connection of the Triumph Navigation system by the (potentially not cheap) blue tooth dongle to the White Plug ---- will only give Turn by Turn directions in a tiny quadrant of the screen it might be reassuring to point out that using the White Plug is easy and entirely reversible.
I realise the following is blindingly obvious to some --- but it might reassure the bewildered.
Follow these "instructions" entirely  at your own risk.
EandOE.
Pull/lever the White Plug off the side of the bike. ( This might break the little spigot that "hold" the plug in place.

Separate the half of the White plug with the black dots simply by pulling the halves apart.

You will now see pins in the wired half of the plug as per the Excellent photograph on "the other thread".

Offer the Dummy Half back to the half with the wires ( oriented correctly) and identify the little black dot
corresponding to the 12volt pin.

Use a very thin screwdriver to push the little black plug out.

Open out the "hole," that has been revealed to allow a recently purchased female pin to fit in the hole.

Push in your recently constructed female pin and length of red wire into the hole.

Put the two halves of the White plug together.

Etc etc.

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 03:20:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Flyfifer [+]
Push in your recently constructed female pin and length of red wire into the hole.

Put the two halves of the White plug together.

Etc etc.

There is a 0 volt pin in there as well, which I used for my black wire.
IMHO, it looks neater than having to find an earth for the other wire of the sat nav:

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 05:29:43 PM »
 :169: If you are only connecting a Sat Nav supply I imagine the 12v and 0v I the White Plug are adequate.

I only used the White Plug 12volt to provide power to a "Relay" to feed Battery 12v to several items and needed a common 0v --- which again I took direct from the battery.
Horses for courses.

Offline CopthorneRob

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
But the Blue Tooth dongle will provide only limited turn-by-turn navigation with the Triumph app, and Go-Pro connectivity.
If you're wiring in a pukka full screen sat nav, why would you want the lesser Triumph navigation as well?
From what I can gather, the dongle won't be cheap either.

I was told by my dealer that this add on will be circa 250. But as you say, wont replace a proper sat nave that you can load pre programmed routes into.

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 02:44:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by CopthorneRob [+]
I was told by my dealer that this add on will be circa 250. But as you say, wont replace a proper sat nave that you can load pre programmed routes into.

Had the BT dongle been around 50 - 100, possibly a little more, I'd have said that it'd be a great idea for someone who needed limited sat nav capability.
But at 250 for a turn-by-turn system, plus you'll need a mobile phone (for the app), it's too much IMHO; a TomTom for just over 300 is a far better bet.
I think Triumph is just trying to recoup some of the R&D costs - it'll be much cheaper in a few years' time.

Offline Lazzy71

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 08:17:35 PM »
I was up at the Excel Bike show last Friday and the guy on the Triumph stand the price and release dates haven't been released. He said that the Scrambler would be the first release and then it would be shortly after that. I see tomorrow my local dealer is having an open night for the Scrambler so it maybe just round the corner that we hear something. Lets hope it's not too much.  :440:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch