Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Bars - Worth the extra weight?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Engine Bars - Worth the extra weight?
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »
I recently went through the process of removing all the extras I'd added over the years and weighed everything as it came off, unbelievably this came as quite a shock when I discovered added weight was over 35 kgs  :005:

I'm now deciding if any of the extras are worth keeping  :084:

I've retained the centre stand as I think that's a must when touring and for lubing the chain (I got rid of the chain oiler - more weight), now I'm trying to decide if the engine bars are worth fitting back on   :261:

My thoughts are -  For a low speed drop you're probably going to save a few scratches on various bits, but if you have a bigish off then are the bars actually going to save your bike or is there likely to be far more damage than the engine bars can actually protect  :187: :187: :187:

So is it actually worth fitting the bars = extra weight to carry around = higher fuel consumption = reduced performance = more suspension load. Are they another bit of bling / farkle or whatever you want to call them and not really that useful if you do have a crash or are they worth there weight (haha) in Gold :084: :084: :084: 

After all they do also call them crash bars, or they used too  :028:  :110: :084:

Have you had a big off, did the engine bars protect the bike, general thoughts on this  :465:

Online rozzer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: '16 1050 Sport
Re: Engine Bars - Worth the extra weight?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »

I went for the full R&G kit,crash bobbins,engine case protectors,handlebar ends and axle protection,purely because I didn't want all the scaffolding which as you say is weighty.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:06:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by sezian [+]
My thoughts are -  For a low speed drop you're probably going to save a few scratches on various bits, but if you have a bigish off then are the bars actually going to save your bike or is there likely to be far more damage than the engine bars can actually protect 

My actual experience.
All good crash bars do is allow the insurance company to get a better return when they part out your bike after they have written it off as the result of a crash.
For that reason I went with relatively inexpensive Heed bars on my current Tiger that replaced the written off one with very expensive AltRider bars that was written off. I'm not looking at this from a weight saving point of view all I want the bars to do is provide basic protection when the bike has a sleep generally off road. If I crash it I am happy for the insurance to pay out and what they get for the wreck is their problem.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 12:49:48 PM »
I've had engine/ crash bars on all my recent bikes, they are good at protecting against low and medium crashes/ drops, I had a relatively "big off" on my Tiger Sport and whilst the bars sheared off they probably absorbed some of the impact, didn't stop the bike being written off, possibly meant that after six operations I did still manage to keep my right leg.

So definitely worth the negligible increase in weight (that will make only a minute difference to mpg, performance, etc) for low/ moderate speed impacts and probably worth it if you want to have something to operate your rear brake with.

Largely depends on whether you're more interested in saving a few coppers at the petrol pump  :017:

Online tcbandituk

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRt
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 01:09:23 PM »
I went with the lower engine bars but didn't put the higher tank protector bars on I wouldn't want the weight, which would raise the C of G, that high up.
I dropped my Tiger Sport twice at low speed, with the lower engine bars. The bars and panniers meant there was virtually no damage to the bike itself, there was more damage to my ego as I rolled around on the floor....

Also I think there is a need to make a distinction between the requirements for road or off road as the upper bars may be more useful off road where it's far more likely to be dropped frequently......

2015 Bonneville Speedchurch
2018 Speed Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt

TC Drag Bike

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 01:53:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
I've had engine/ crash bars on all my recent bikes, they are good at protecting against low and medium crashes/ drops, I had a relatively "big off" on my Tiger Sport and whilst the bars sheared off they probably absorbed some of the impact, didn't stop the bike being written off, possibly meant that after six operations I did still manage to keep my right leg.

So definitely worth the negligible increase in weight (that will make only a minute difference to mpg, performance, etc) for low/ moderate speed impacts and probably worth it if you want to have something to operate your rear brake with.

Largely depends on whether you're more interested in saving a few coppers at the petrol pump  :017:
:493: :0461: :152:
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 04:05:03 PM »
Panniers make better crash bars than do most crash bars  :001:

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 08:59:32 AM »
Thanks for you're feedback. From what I'm reading I think the engine bars will stop a few scratches in a very low speed off (or bike falling over) but anything bigger and the bars aren't going to save the bike, it's more likely to be written off  :151:

RTO - I also have "Metal Mule" panniers and whilst I would agree about them being effective as crash bars the weight of them (empty) with the pannier rails is nearly 20kgs. I used to use them for touring but TBH I think I'll just use my roll bag in future. It takes as much kit as the panniers, doesn't stick out the side of the bike, doesn't affect filtering and weighs next to nothing  :028:

I might put the engine bars back on but I'm still undecided  :084: :187:  :087:

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XCA
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:06:51 PM »
if it slides down the road, then the bars should do a good job. In this case, you are guarding the 'cases.

Invariably, the bike hits something and starts somersaulting.....game over.

IMO, some form of crash protection is worth it

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 09:12:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by sezian [+]
RTO - I also have "Metal Mule" panniers and whilst I would agree about them being effective as crash bars the weight of them (empty) with the pannier rails is nearly 20kgs.

Rear pannier racks and/or hard panniers will almost guarantee that a Tiger is written off in even a mild crash as inevitably they will cause the rear sub frame to be bent.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch