Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Couple of general riding questions  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Couple of general riding questions
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2019, 03:03:57 PM »
Brill eh, it's far more complex than metric vs imperial and it won't change 'cos a few bods on a bike forum think it should. Tell it to the Yanks.

https://aerosavvy.com/metric-imperial/
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Matchbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XRT
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 05:00:30 PM »
I believe that metric countries do not use kilometres per litre. They express fuel consumption as litres per 100 kilometres. Not sure which is more logical but its the devil you know I suppose.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »
 :493: Most airplane fuel gauges are in Kgs, fuel is normally delivered in Lts. The specific gravity of the day for the fuel is used to calculate how much fuel is on the A/C. In my experience most US registered A/C fuel gauges are or used to be in Lbs. The inexperienced or not paying attention can easily lead to errors.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 05:14:28 PM by ColinXCX »

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 08:17:59 PM »
Blimey, I stirred up a hornets' nest when I questioned fuel tank sizes in litres and fuel consumption in MPG.
IMHO, it makes no sense to mix imperial and metric units - use one or the other FFS.
The trouble with this country (UK) is that we won't commit.
We had a golden opportunity to switch to metric in 1971 when our currency switched from sd to p.
However, the cretins in power didn't finish the job, and we're left with this horrible mish-mash of metric/imperial.
I have to laugh at road tests where the tester quotes a seat height in millimetres and says that it suits his in-seam that he quotes in inches - huh?
I'm not reactionary, it's just that I think it's stupid to quote tank size in litres when we continue to use MPG.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 01:30:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I have to laugh at road tests where the tester quotes a seat height in millimetres and says that it suits his in-seam that he quotes in inches - huh?

That is simply sloppy journalism. They read the seat height from the specs and they remember their leg length the last time their mother measured it for school pants.

*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I'm not reactionary, it's just that I think it's stupid to quote tank size in litres when we continue to use MPG.

The problem with gallons and mpg on a forum is that a gallon in the USA (3.78 litres) is not the same as a gallon in Europe (4.54 litres) or the rest of the world. When people start blindly talking about mpg without qualifying what gallons they are using it gets really confusing. At least a litre is a litre is a litre as far as fuel capacity is concerned.

In this part of the world we officially use litres/100km and have done since the 1970s but NOBODY has any idea what that actually means not even millennials. I simply drive my car or ride my bike until the gauge says to refill it and when I do I reset the trip #2 and think yep the distance showing when I reset it is about normal.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 01:35:58 AM by K1W1 »

Online walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »
likewise, I work in neither gallons or litres when on the bike, I either fill it up or put 10 worth in, so don't know my mpg accurately either...with either way I can't be bothered to work out litres to gallons, .but I know roughly what I get for 10 or a full tank

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matchbox [+]
I believe that metric countries do not use kilometres per litre. They express fuel consumption as litres per 100 kilometres. Not sure which is more logical but its the devil you know I suppose.

I've seen it suggested that the logic behind the l/100km is that if you know how far you're going, you'll know how much fuel you need. Where the two conflict is that for mpg bigger is better, for l/100km smaller is better. But as this is either length/volume or volume/length, perhaps we should express fuel consumption as an area (which would be the cross-sectional area of the trough by the side of the road containing fuel that you'd consume instead of having a fuel tank). I wish I could claim that as an original idea.

I don't think mixed units will ever go away completely - look at tyres, for example, specified as metric/ratio/imperial. But I would argue for consistency of unit type in bike specs, so if lengths, heights, etc are measured in metric units, volumes should be too.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline mym

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 03:45:36 PM »
 :430: :431:

i didnt mean to start all out war with this topic!!

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 06:19:26 PM »
Ha, it's typical on here. The Bonnie forum is as bad.  :112: Just ignore it, I do.

How about our bike chains, they are all in imperial sizes, always have been, no matter where they're made.

While our engines have always been measured in cubic centimetres, there was one Triumph named by its cubic inches to encourage our cousins over the pond to buy it.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch