Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Couple of general riding questions  (Read 2408 times)

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
Re: Couple of general riding questions
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 01:11:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by SteveTT800XRT [+]

I use Rain X, good stuff, if it rains just turn your head to the left or right and visor is clear of raindrops

There are two types of Rain-X: regular glass and plastic.
There are warnings on the glass type not to use on plastic, which our visors are made of.
It can make the plastic hard and brittle, whereas the plastic Rain-X doesn't do that.
Needless to say, the plastic Rain-X is far more expensive.

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 02:13:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Most of the claims about bulbs like that are just unsubstantiated marketing hype. The fact is the bulbs still have the same output power as the OEM bubs and the reflectors and lens in the headlight housing are unchanged and it is the reflectors and lens that are as important as the bulbs themselves in producing the beam of light. The manufacturers change the colour rating of the bulb slightly which gives purchasers a visual impression that the bulbs are better simply because they can see a difference. There may be some small quantifiable improvements but nothing like the claims made by the manufacturers which if you read the fine print always relate to the "minimum requirements".

.....ive no doubt the claims may be disingenuous , these bulbs are no way 150% brighter than oem bulbs.....and I didn't say they were, I said they were considerably better, which they are....maybe 30%, .while I agree 60 watts is 60 watts, the extra output of these bulbs seems to be gained at the expense of longevity, they have a shorter lifespan, which to be fair, the manufacturer does state....I think these are rated at 200 hours lifespan, .which I accept as ok for the 14 I paid for mine, they are worth the money as an easy upgrade...my last bike had LED lights, which were very white, but didn't illuminate much better ....

unless of course, the things I can see in the distance which I couldn't see with the oem bulbs are all in my mind....anything is possible.... :015:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:50:39 PM by walt »

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 01:33:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
My 2018 Tiger 800 XRT has a tank of at least 4 imperial gallons, and I do at least 65 miles per gallon.
That means I have a range of 260 miles (4 x 65).
Why the hell do we mix metric and imperial?

Because reactionary idiots want to keep us stuck in the Dark Ages with a medieval form of measurement instead of properly embracing metric measurements, like 99% of the world have, despite us being officially metric since 1972?
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 02:13:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Because reactionary idiots want to keep us stuck in the Dark Ages with a medieval form of measurement instead of properly embracing metric measurements, like 99% of the world have, despite us being officially metric since 1972?

Why the hell do we mix metric and imperial?

I think we have fully changed to metric, except miles instead of Kilometres

UK fuel pumps dispense in Litres, not gallons..... :084:   which is probably why we express our mileage/fuel consumption as mpg rather than Km per Litre , considering we have changed to metric on everything else, i'm not sure why we stayed with miles.... :027:  so we should at least be saying miles per litre  :002:

although i'm in my 60's so tend to use metric and old imperial mixed because that's how my life history has been.....but medieval reactionary, dark aged idiot is a bit strong....   :027: :008:

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 02:43:51 PM »
Ask most people in the UK how tall they are and you will get a reply of 5ft8"  6ft2" etc the same applies to weight 12stone 6 etc. Even people in there early 20s that I work with, that have been educated with the metric system will still use some imperial measurements.

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 02:50:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by ColinXCX [+]
Ask most people in the UK how tall they are and you will get a reply of 5ft8"  6ft2" etc the same applies to weight 12stone 6 etc. Even people in there early 20s that I work with, that have been educated with the metric system will still use some imperial measurements.

yeah, that's true...I thought a generation would erase imperial, but it hasn't....if i'm riding in Europe, after a few days I can think in Kilometres, then it gets lost when i'm back in UK

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 03:48:32 PM »
As long as the USA uses imperial it will continue. The other smaller countries that use it including us, amount to only some 120Million. Gets a tad confusing when US gallons & pints are a gudly bit smaller than ours, especially when they are quoting mpg 'cos there miles are same as ours.

I was amazed Airbus UK assembled imperial wing components, using imperial fasteners (UNF) in jigs manufactured in metric. The wings are transported to Toulouse to be attached to the fuselage that is made in metric. This aint gonna change overnight. Unless it has in the last 10 years.

Back in the early 70's one day we had our imperial measuring tools & drawings taken away & given metric rules & drawings. "Carry on lads". Ha :087:
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
As long as the USA uses imperial it will continue.
The U.S. Gummint passed a federal law - back in the early '70s - to make the country switch-over to the metric system.
Years ago I had a conversation with a long-time mechanical engineer working for a multi-national company that manufactured fire-apparatus (using inches/etc.). I asked him why they weren't following the law and using metric?
He answered: "We had discussions about that and decided that when it became financially beneficial we would do so."
IOW, the law had no teeth -- there were no financial penalties for not switching to metric.
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 02:18:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
I think we have fully changed to metric, except miles instead of Kilometres

UK fuel pumps dispense in Litres, not gallons..... :084:   which is probably why we express our mileage/fuel consumption as mpg rather than Km per Litre , considering we have changed to metric on everything else, i'm not sure why we stayed with miles.... :027:  so we should at least be saying miles per litre  :002:

although i'm in my 60's so tend to use metric and old imperial mixed because that's how my life history has been.....but medieval reactionary, dark aged idiot is a bit strong....   :027: :008:

At 61, I am the same, but I'd like to go fully metric. I do make an effort to but it's easy to slip into referring to feet and inches, and mpg and psi are rather firmly embedded. At the rate we're going, the UK will be fully metric just as civilisation is in its death throes, so our descendants will be roaming the post-apocalyptic ruins hitting each other with clubs measured in millimetres.
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
As long as the USA uses imperial it will continue.

Why? Our trade is mainly with the EU and the rest of the world. The countries retaining the imperial system (with the wrong sizes) are the US, Myanmar, and Liberia. So it makes sense to finally properly convert. Oh, and I give my height as 175cm and weight as  :172: kg.

Recent Topics