Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Do yourself a HUGE favor and grease it up baby.  (Read 988 times)

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015XC
Do yourself a HUGE favor and grease it up baby.
« on: February 05, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »
Following on from my previous post having removed the rear wheel.

I had reason to adjust the brake height on my new (4 year old) XCx.

I took the brake pedal assbly off and thought, wow there is no grease in the inner mount.  :187:

Then after doing quite a few mods in the last week I decided there is pretty much NO locktite on any of the bolts either ( I use the Blue in the tube)

So having had dirt bikes for longer than I would like to admit I decided to pull down all the rear suspension linkages and the swing arm ... and guess what 'no added grease' just as manufactured.... so maybe a light film of oil at  best.

Knowing how this area gets dirt and water blasted (done same on my Bandit a few years back and was 'just' in time to save the needle bearings & had to de rust some of the cages and emery some of the hardened pins. (Bear in mind you brits probably ride in more rain than the average  :492:)

So a considerable number of hours later they are all 'full' of high pressure water proof sticky grease which will seal them right up, provide years of service and remove resistance that might affect the shockers efficiency..

Yucky job, and I am glad I did it before it went into serious service and got putrid anyway .... easy when the bike is nice and clean and kinda new yeah.  :152:

btw who fits 16mm heads to bolts ... who the F#%$ has a spanner that size as most sets go 15 to 17mm. Thanks to my neighbor for the 16.

In final, next week it will be the head set bearings coz I reckon its an easy bet that they have little if no grease on them either ...

Otherwise known as maintenance BEFORE you really need maintenance.... and if you don't know how serious this can get just ask anyone who has had serious speed wobbles on a big corner and lived to tell the tale. ps even more so with flogged out head stem bearings - try taking your hands of the bars and see that one shake its sh!t .. and these aren't tapered rollers so they are much smaller surface area !!

Is this like 'how to spend heaps of money at the dealer' strategy from Triumph and even so, you had better hope that they do this in a major service or it will bite you on the bum eventually.   Cheers.

Offline CB250G5

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Do yourself a HUGE favor and grease it up baby.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 03:58:24 PM »
Doing the 12,000 service on mine at the mo.  Done the front end, pretty much grease free from the factory.   Rear next, once I get the front wheel back on.  Callipers in a bit of a state as well, so all sliding pins cleaned & greased,  Pistons look OK - gold anodised by the look of them.

Loads of play in gear linkage, may redo that, with spherical bearings, or put aside for next year, still loads to do, quite a handful of shims needed.
2015 Tiger 800 XRx, Yamaha RD350YPVS special, Yamaha TDR250 (being rebuilt), Yamaha SRX400 Super Single and a Voskhod 175

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by CB250G5 [+]
quite a handful of shims needed.

Have they all closed up? Interested to see your readings.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline CB250G5

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:31:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Have they all closed up? Interested to see your readings.

I think so, but my feeler gauges are a bit wide for some of the valves.  I've ordered a "normal" set & will recheck them all & report back.

As far as I can measure, most of the inlets are in spec, but on the tight side & 2 of the exhaust are too small, but all need rechecking.
2015 Tiger 800 XRx, Yamaha RD350YPVS special, Yamaha TDR250 (being rebuilt), Yamaha SRX400 Super Single and a Voskhod 175

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 10:41:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
btw who fits 16mm heads to bolts ... who the F#%$ has a spanner that size as most sets go 15 to 17mm. Thanks to my neighbor for the 16.

Wait till you find the 7mm (from memory) ones holding the air filter box lid on.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 10:58:00 AM »
Aren't our spark plugs 16mm hex.

It's an unusual size nut/bolt for sure.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics