Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Caution when changing WP fork oil  (Read 914 times)

Offline Pnb7914

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015 xcx
Caution when changing WP fork oil
« on: February 09, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »
I came across an unexpected issue when changing fork oil in my 2015 800 xcx with WP suspension.  I reviewed the Triumph service manual and also checked the oem parts diagram to get familiar with the fork innards before changing the oil. All went well with the left fork with compression adjustment.  However, I had a problem with the right fork with rebound adjustment. After adding new oil and reinstalling the spring and retaining nut, I dropped the rebound adjusting rod down through the damper rod.  But instead of stopping above the top of the damper rod (as shown in the service manual), the adjusting rod fell down about 1/2 inch below the damper rod. As a result, after installing the fork cap, the rebound adjusting pin in the cap would not contact the damper rod, so no rebound adjustment was possible. 

I wasnt sure what happened.  Tried repeating the oil change process, thinking I didnt purge air from the system. No luck. After several attempts, I concluded there must be a problem with the internal fork cartridge but the oem parts diagram shows no service parts for the cartridge.

Solution found after consulting a local Ktm dealer that knows WP forks.  Although not familiar with the Triumph forks, the dealership correctly diagnosed the problem as missing parts.  Specifically, there is a small spring and needle pin that sit between the fork cartridge and the rebound adjusting rod.  When I drained the old fork oil, these parts fell out and went undiscovered in the darkened oil. Neither the service manual nor the oem parts diagram make any mention of these parts. 

Thankfully, after learning of the parts from the ktm dealer, i was able to find them sitting at the bottom of my used oil container. Here is what they look like, apart and as configured for installation.  I suspect there are similar parts for the compression fork adjustment and they just didnt fall out when I changed the oil on that side.  Anyhow, watch for these parts if you change your own fork oil.

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
Re: Caution when changing WP fork oil
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »
 :493: :028:

Offline tipsies

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XCA
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 04:25:49 AM »
Hi can you help with the oil in ml as to how much needs to go in ?

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xcx
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 02:02:04 PM »
Indeed, these two pieces do not appear anywhere, either technical documentation or spare parts.

They are of different color according to the compression and relaxation sheath.

I had the same surprise, but saw it fell during the oil change !!

Here is the table in French for the levels, volume and type of fork oil according to the models:

Offline tipsies

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 05:40:46 AM »
thanks for this i am trying to get the right viscosity for the stock oil which is rated at SAE4

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xcx
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 07:18:31 AM »
To find the viscosity SAE4W, you will have to either go to Triumph or Ktm, and pay for it at a golden price!

Personally I put the Motorex in 5W whose price per liter is less than 20 , and I am very happy of the result, knowing that I have 1 use both road and off road of my Xcx.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:20:38 AM by SOHUTAA »

Offline tipsies

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 07:28:02 AM »
yes thats what. i figured the viscosity needs to be close to the 14-16 mm2 (stock oil of SAE 4) mark. closest i am getting here in india is maxima 5w which is 16.. the motorex 5w - Viscosity at 40 C 22.9 mm/s whereas the 4w is 16.0 mm/s. not sure if 6.9 mm2 makes such a big difference?

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 01:39:29 PM »
I doubt you would notice any difference between 4W and 5W. Even so, the compression and rebound adjusters would provide you with plenty of range to overcome and slight difference in the oil viscosity.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Recent Topics