Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 'Leccy Triumph?  (Read 637 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: 'Leccy Triumph?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
It's the only way forward
I suspect my new born grandson will know no other by the time he becomes old enough to take to the roads

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:17:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
It's the only way forward
I suspect my new born grandson will know no other by the time he becomes old enough to take to the roads

IMO ... unlikely in your grandsons early decades. This current thinking of removing fossil fuel engines has 2 issues, 1 major, 1 maybe minor. The major one (besides a convienient thinking by some that electricity comes eco carbon free, conveniently forgetting its production source, often gas or other fossil sorce) is that the aging national grid is already running at the edge of production nearly going in to overdrive and 2 proposed new major (nuclear) power stations have recently been cancelled. Don't even go there with abysmally subsidised useless wind power, admittedly solar is more reliable but would probably require every bit of green space in the UK to be covered in panels to provide the energy required and storage banks for dark hour supply.

From a user point of view, I and my immediate neighbours (and I'm sure 000's more in the UK) would need to run a 30/50m extension cable across public paths and space to plug my new electric vehicle in.

It isn't currently inspiring to read that current owners trying to venture beyond their home towns, with the current electric vehicle limited range, find the motorway service station charging point network pitiful, more often than not faulty and out of order.

:084: Maybe hydrogen is the technology to develop as long as the vehicle storage of it can be achieved at a similar, or better, safety standard as a tank of petrol.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 04:30:25 AM »
I think the proponents of EVs are grossly over estimating the demand especially motorcycles.
There is no way I'm even vaguely considering an EV until it has at least the range of my current vehicle (motorcycle around 200 miles car up to 600 miles) and I can "refill" in something close to the same time I refill with fuel today. Who wants or has the time to wait hours to get an 80% refill?
As far as electric motorcycles are concerned I suspect that they will be a short term proposition. The autonomous systems in new cars have trouble with the random nature of motorcycles and when some lawmaker somewhere in the world suggests and has approved laws to restrict or ban motorcycles from various roads on the grounds of safety the end of the motorcycle industry as we know it will be nigh.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:21:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I think the proponents of EVs are grossly over estimating the demand especially motorcycles.
There is no way I'm even vaguely considering an EV until it has at least the range of my current vehicle (motorcycle around 200 miles car up to 600 miles) and I can "refill" in something close to the same time I refill with fuel today. Who wants or has the time to wait hours to get an 80% refill?
As far as electric motorcycles are concerned I suspect that they will be a short term proposition.
Super capacitors are getting a lot of R&D money thrown at them. They may well be the way it goes, lots of downside still but they'll get there.

The autonomous systems in new cars have trouble with the random nature of motorcycles and when some lawmaker somewhere in the world suggests and has approved laws to restrict or ban motorcycles from various roads on the grounds of safety the end of the motorcycle industry as we know it will be nigh.

That would be parts of Germany then
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 06:01:10 PM »
When visiting Japan a few years ago, I lost count of the electric bicycles I saw.
A friend recently told me of a mountain-bike enthusiast who's wife just got an electric version so she can accompany him.
Seems.., the indicators are there for future expansion?

There is no way I'm even vaguely considering an EV until it has at least the range of my current vehicle (motorcycle around 200 miles car up to 600 miles)
Research done on that issue (I think it was Nissan) found that a great majority of car drivers use their car for far shorter distance than the EV's range in their daily use/commute. I think it was something-like less than 50 miles daily?
Still, range anxiety (among potential users) remains a major hurdle. Until the plusses of convenience / pleasure / necessity overcome the perceived negatives, the hurdle may remain high.
Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 06:39:43 PM »
 :0461: to a point. When all service stations are equipped with swap-over battery packs instead of or as well as charging stations, I don't see an issue. It will happen, just when. As much as we don't want it to.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 07:25:58 PM »
I'd consider one for commuting (50 mile round trip) if/when they achieve price parity with petrol equivalents.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 09:44:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
:0461: to a point. When all service stations are equipped with swap-over battery packs instead of or as well as charging stations, I don't see an issue. It will happen, just when. As much as we don't want it to.

Won't need to
Super Caps charge very fast

Recent Topics

winded-staunch