Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 'Leccy Triumph?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: 'Leccy Triumph?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 11:25:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
When all service stations are equipped with swap-over battery packs instead of or as well as charging stations, I don't see an issue. It will happen, just when. As much as we don't want it to.

It probably won't be that easy, same as currently charging EVs . lack of standardisation. I often see 3 charging points in motorway service areas and they are each for a different make of vehicle with different supply plug type/fitting.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 11:49:11 PM »
I suspect inevitably there will be more Tax to pay too, as they get more popular/acceptable i can't see us paying significantly less to drive/ride than we do now.... :027:

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 07:56:54 AM »
You boys not read this link I posted in reply 2. If it's not req'd why are Yam getting on with it.

https://electrek.co/2018/09/11/yamaha-gogoro-build-battery-swapping-electric-scooters/
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
You boys not read this link I posted in reply 2. If it's not req'd why are Yam getting on with it.

https://electrek.co/2018/09/11/yamaha-gogoro-build-battery-swapping-electric-scooters/

I can't see that progressing to larger motorcycles/vehicles
What's the weight of a 9.8kWh battery these days? somewhere north of 50kg I would think

It's a great idea for city scooters and bicycles though
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 11:43:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
I can't see that progressing to larger motorcycles/vehicles
What's the weight of a 9.8kWh battery these days? somewhere north of 50kg I would think

It's a great idea for city scooters and bicycles though

Good move by Yamaha - charging stations would only want to carry one type of battery, and if Yamaha/Gogoro set the standard, everyone else would have to licence it off them. Don't know how well it would work in the UK though, I can see an awful lot of those batteries being liberated from under the seat. And as you say, it's for the cities - Taiwan is only 380km end to end, with a population density about 2.5 times that of the UK.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 12:02:35 PM »
Have you all received the Triumph survey asking if we've ridden or owned an electric bicycle or Motorcycle, would we buy one?

Obviously Triumph are looking into manufacturing them if the market is there.

I've ridden an electric bicycle, it was brilliant, scary fast. Ha. :005: The boy who loaned it me said the German ones are the best. His opinion, he bought it in Germany.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
Whatever happened to Di-Lithium Crystals  :016:

Tomorrow's World lied, still not got my hoverbike  :114:

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 12:55:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Whatever happened to Di-Lithium Crystals  :016:

Tomorrow's World lied, still not got my hoverbike  :114:

Can't speak for the hover bike but dilithium crystals?
Well there's been quite a bit of serious research and work into developing a fusion engine using deuterium and lithium-6 in a crystalline form   :001:
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 05:09:56 PM »
I would have an electric bike in a heartbeat provided that a. it can do motorway speeds comfortably for 60 miles and b. the initial cost is not too much more than a new petrol powered bike.

As has been mentioned already, the eBike (Mountain bike, Road bike and hybrid) has exploded over the last year or two (I'm likely to buy an eMTB later this year) and there's only really a couple of main power transmission systems on the market - Bosch and Shimano, however they do a different job, they provide a maximum of 250w of assistance up to a speed of 16mph and people report ranges of approx 35-40 miles if you think about the power useage.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch