Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Service engine , ABS, and Traction Control Disabled warning lights ?  (Read 647 times)

Offline RichardD

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800
I have a 2015 800 XRX with about 14,000 miles . Today my service engine light , abs and traction control disabled lights came on. I shut the bike off, rode it about 10 miles to see if it came on again and it didn't. Then I started it up again and they came on again after only a few miles. The first thing that comes to my mind is how my BMW used to do funny things when the battery was going bad. This is the original battery and it's about 3 1/2 years old. Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I may take the battery out and bring it to have it load tested at auto zone or just buy a new one because of it's age and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Service engine , ABS, and Traction Control Disabled warning lights ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 11:21:46 PM »
1. Have you checked for any stored fault codes. This can be done at a basic (but not full) level without any program following the process described by T800XC, who also provides the forum with the more advanced Tigertool diagnostic program.

Try the following and record the fault codes (if you don't have a program):
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,14967.0.htm

2. If you have a multimeter available check battery voltage bike not running, then start bike and recheck voltage no more than about 14.4v

I had similar intermittent issues, plus loss of speedo and chance comment by a forum member had me check battery voltage and I had 19v at tickover. All the fault lights were related to rectifier/regulator being knackered and voltage above 16v.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline RichardD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:29:21 AM »
The battery is 12.77 and 14.25 . I checked for fault codes as you suggested and sure enough there were two of them . P0500 Vehicle speed sensor malfunction and P1521 Lost communication with ABS.  I'm assuming it's the fixture by the rear or front ABS ring. I guess I should clean and check all the connections .

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:43:05 AM »
Those are the original codes I had from both the basic procedure you used and the, then, Tigertool program. However T800XC sent me the beta release, now available next release of Tigertool with ABS access and I had 2 further codes that led me in the right direction.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24031.0.html

There is another thread (or 2) that interact with the above that relate the whole picture of my issue.

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline RichardD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:00:34 AM »
I guess I may have to take mine to the dealer if it's not the speed sensor since I don't have the dealer tool or a lap top.  Or I can try the speed sensor and then the R/R like you did. Hopefully it's just the speed sensor since my battery readings were good.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:11:02 AM by RichardD »

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:21:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by RichardD [+]
p
I have a 2015 800 XRX with about 14,000 miles . Today my service engine light , abs and traction control disabled lights came on.

Did you notice if you lost your speedo readout on the clocks, this would narrow it diwn to the rear sensor? Check your ABS sensor heads are secure and clean the face off that should be about 1.0mm clear of ABS ring.  Prior to the issue mentioned I once had similar and got home to find the rear sensor hanging down out of brake carrier and the securing screw gone.

It is a little bit of work to access but you could disconnect the R/R and run the bike, on stand, but that would be on the assumption the fault lights are now permanently coming on, immediately or within a minute or two.

Bit late now but will find other links to associated threads linked to my issue tomorrow when I get a chance. Have a couple of important jobs to do on my wifes car ready fit MOT midday Monday so probably later in the afternoons.

Offline RichardD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:43:25 AM »
I did not notice any loss of speedo or clock.  The ABS sensors are secure and look good. So if I disconnect the R/R and run the bike, the only light I should have on is the ABS ?  Right now the engine management malfunction light is on as well as the  ABS and TC up on the center stand and running in gear. I just checked the battery readings again running the bike for a few minutes and still 12.75 and 14.25. Is it possible the r/r is bad with no spiking of the battery ?  I will disconnect the r/r tomorrow . If the engine management malfunction light , abs light and TC light is off , does this mean it is definitely the r/r ?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:03:25 AM by RichardD »

Offline RichardD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 02:51:04 AM »
I disconnected the R/R . The Traction Control light is out now. The Engine Management light is still on. I don't have a dealer tool. Is there any way I can  get that light out or will it go out after 3 cycles ?  I then plugged the R/R back in and the T/C light is on and flashing. I'm assuming I need the new R/R ?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:17:45 AM by RichardD »

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »
:084: I wouldn't rush out to get a R/R, your reported voltages look fine unlike the 19.06v I had at tickover and unless you see a reasonable priced s/h one on ebay or similar, I was cornered into paying Triumph price of 220 as I wanted to make the annual forum Tigermeet but as described  I had proved it was faulty.

While typically it takes 3 heat cycles to clear the MIL light, provided fault cleared, you will see in my case once I disconnected the faulty R/R and run the bike (including through the gears) I only had the expected ABS lit (as front wheel stationary), the MIL had gone out as normal.

I don't know how to clear any fault lights without a program, however if you aren't in a rush you could disconnect the R/R again, hook up a battery charger to maintain power and on the stand run the bike up to temperature and allow to cool 3 times and see if that clears the MIL light. If it does reset and you then simply get a standard (less than 10mph?) flashing ABS light then maybe it is the R/R somehow. As previously mentioned, maybe there are more informative codes stored that would help?

P.S .. meant 'loss of speedo' on the clocks (instrument panel) .... not loss of 'clock' tick tock.  :008:

Offline RichardD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
I think I may have found the problem. I removed the rear wheel speed sensor and about 12 inches from the end , the wire was apparently rubbing on the wheel . It was enough to see bare copper wire. I just cut and spliced the two black and white wires together. I  will just ride the bike as normal and see if the mil light goes out after a while. I will now use zip ties on that wire instead of the clips that came with the bike.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:43:14 AM by RichardD »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch