Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Short riders  (Read 372 times)

Offline Deb

• Tiger Cub
Re: Short riders
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 11:43:10 PM »
kind of have my heart set on the XCA but i may not have much of a choice

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Deb [+]
kind of have my heart set on the XCA but i may not have much of a choice

Possibly worth a thought, I'm sure others have reported similar.  :084:

My experience of acquiring my XRt (and based on riding the demo XRx) was that I initially needed the seat on the lower setting to get the balls of both feet on the ground and feel secure. The actual look of having the rider seat lower than the passenger one didn't do it for me visually, so thankfully I actually found that after about a week (nearly 700 miles) of allowing everything to settle etc. I was able to raise the seat to the higher position. Now after 2yrs, although the seat doesn't appear flattened in any way I can flat foot both feet no problem when stopped.  :028:

So if you feel safe on tip toes with the XCa seat in lower position then possibly after a few weeks you will be able to feel much more secure.  :002:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Deb

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 12:11:41 AM »
no i would not like the look of the rider being higher than the passenger either . i wish i could go for a test ride on one but i live in Canada and we have lots of snow and cold weather

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 12:29:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Deb [+]
no i would not like the look of the rider being higher than the passenger either .

:110: no, other way around.  :001:

*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
The actual look of having the rider seat lower than the passenger one didn't do it for me visually,

The passenger will be higher than the rider with the rider seat in either position, normal or low. I didn't like the visual aspect of the rider seat being lower, the step to the passenger seat just looked odd (IMO).
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT 2018
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »
I have the XRT with Luss Racing lowering (40mm) links. Fitting the seat in the lower position gives a seat height of 770 mm. Daytona Mstar GTX boots will give you 25 mm extra height, but only go to 43mm foot size.

The only downside is you need a wooden block under the tyre to get the thing on centre stand. I can flat foot with my short 26.5 inch welsh legs.

Regards
Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT, Tiger 800 XrX low. 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 08:44:07 PM »
Hi Deb,

Good on you for wanting to choose the Tiger.  I'm 5' 6" with a 28" in seam and on the first ride of the demo' standard height XRT, I was a bit worried about the seat height.

After researching the XRT LRH (Low Ride Height) model, I found it comes with either 780mm / 31" (seat in high position) or, better yet for us shorties, 760 mm / 30" (seat in the low position).

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com.au/bikes/adventure-and-touring/tiger/2018/800/variants/tiger-800-xrx-low#specification.

Bear in mind there are a few street bikes in the Triumph range that also come with the low 760 mm seat height as standard, not just Tigers, so to get a feel for your comfort level, maybe test ride another model in the range. 

It is unlikely for a dealer to have a LRH Tiger on the floor as a demo' model.  I only got to sit on a LRH XRT because the dealer had sold one and it was awaiting collection by the new owner.

If you have your heart set on an XCA (the top of the range 'Cross Country' with "all the fruit", then that could be a problem as the seat heights on those can be either 860mm / 34"  (seat in high position) or 840mm / 33" (seat in low position).

However, if you don't actually need 'all the fruit' of the XCA (with heated pillion and rider seats, factory driving lights, and some other doo-dads), then there is the Tiger XCX LRH model.  It has seat height options of 810mm / 32" (seat in normal position) or 790mm / 31" (seat in low position).

The XCX LRH still comes with the nice White Power front and rear suspension of the standard height XC range.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com.au/bikes/adventure-and-touring/tiger/2018/tiger-800/variants/tiger-800-xcx-low#specification

I was sold on the XRT after riding it only about 50 metres!  But I was quite concerned about the seat height. 

Another thing that tipped my decision in favour of the standard height XRT is that during my research on here and other places, I discovered the factory recommended maximum load capacity of both LRH (XR and XC) models is considerably reduced, compared to the standard height models.  If you are considering doing a lot of two up riding with luggage, this needs to be considered.

After sitting on a LRH XRT in the dealer's showroom, I figured I could most likely get to live with the standard height model.  So I ended up buying the actual demo' '17 Gen 2 Tiger I test rode.  It's a decision I now definitely do NOT regret one little bit and have got really quite comfortable on it, especially now it has 'settled into it's suspenders'.  Love this great bike more and more each and every time I ride it.

Good luck with your decision Deb and keep us posted on your final selection and why.  Enjoy the journey and learning experience.

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 09:07:55 PM »
My 2017 XCX is the low ride height version, I have the seat in the low position and can flat foot both feet. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam.

Online 3bangin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800xca
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 03:41:22 AM »
My wife is also named Deb, she also rides a 2014 tiger 800. Roadie. She's 5'-3"
I lowered the bike 1/2" front and back.
She also has a 16' t120.
Soupy's lowering links can be a game changer.
Bob
Live life! Live long and ride like hell!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch