Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Air filter help  (Read 444 times)

Offline Gebrauchtwagen83

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xcx
Air filter help
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:10:24 AM »
We are in the planning stages of a trip to Morocco in October and a friend was telling me the air filters are problematic on my new to me XCX and I should fit a uni filter. My question is would a k & n not just do the trick?

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Air filter help
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »
A K&N will stop beer cans getting sucked in.

It's a Pre-filter you need.
/>
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:16:41 AM by Paulhere »
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gebrauchtwagen83 [+]
We are in the planning stages of a trip to Morocco in October and a friend was telling me the air filters are problematic on my new to me XCX and I should fit a uni filter. My question is would a k & n not just do the trick?

No.
The problem is not so much the filter material as the access. With practice it is a good 45 minutes - 1 hour to get to the air filter replace it and put everything back together. Try doing that every couple of days on a trip in dusty conditions and the novelty will wear off very quickly.
With the Unifilter it is take the seats off take the cover over the ABS pump off and take the left side panel off and you can remove the pre filter clean it and put it back together in 10-15 minutes. Better still if you are on tour take two Unifilters and swap them so you always have a clean one on hand. With the Unifilter you will never need to get to the main air filter and it will maintain it's superior (now secondary) filtration.
Some riders even put a section of nylon stocking over tehn pre filter that can simply be slid off and shaken out in extremely dusty conditions.
K&N filters are crap anyway they are the last thing you want to be using to protect your engine is dusty conditions.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:41:45 AM by K1W1 »

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline Gebrauchtwagen83

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xcx
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
Lovely just the job, cheers chaps

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:19:22 PM »
Thanks for the great write up KIWI, I've ordered my Uniflow pre-filter today too.

Recent Topics