Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tank damage by seat!  (Read 975 times)

Offline SimonF59

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRX
Re: Tank damage by seat!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »
Kildareman, that may explain it does your seat look like this in relation to the tank;

I think the comfort seats are out of shape and not a rigid, plus there is no support between the tanks and seat unlike the Tiger 1050's.

Offline manhoot

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Xca
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 06:46:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonF59 [+]

Manhoot, I have trouble standing off the bike, let alone on it  :006:! I spend most of my time sitting. Do you have a standard seat or a Triumph comfort seat?

Standard heated seat
I am one with the Force The Force is with me

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 09:17:28 PM »
Mine does that as well, 72k km on it 2012 model. Will have to take a picture when I get home. 

Offline SimonF59

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 09:38:13 PM »
Cheers Hawkbox, I do not believe it is acceptable Triumph believe it is fair wear and tear.!!

Offline Matchbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XRT
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:49 AM »
Sorry to contradict everyone but I would accept that as normal wear and tear(unless bike is just a few months old - age not given by OP). I would cover with 3M clear film.

Offline SimonF59

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 08:41:50 PM »
Hi Matchbox, I dont you are contradicting just putting your point across. From my perspective why this has got to me is that, fair wear and tear would apply to areas exposed to the elements and mai my from the rider, so worn foot pegs, rub marks from boots, shiny seats etc., this damage is caused by one component rubbing on another to the point the paint has worn away, I have had to treat mine as it had signs of rust because it is downto the steel of the tank. If  when I had been sold it they had said, by the way the seat might wear through tank paint.....I would have expected the dealer / Triumph to supply some form of protection. The paint on the tank should last more than 30,000 mile and 2 1/2 years.

*Originally Posted by Matchbox [+]
Sorry to contradict everyone but I would accept that as normal wear and tear(unless bike is just a few months old - age not given by OP). I would cover with 3M clear film.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 10:29:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonF59 [+]
I think you should write Triumph customer service with this. They knock it back but it is another one registered. How many other bikes have you seen where the seat wears through the tank paint? Triumph have an issue to answer here.

:084: I don't know the answer but maybe your both unlucky, faulty or weak seat moulding or something, but my immediate thought the other day when you posted the above was that, considering how many Tiger owners visit here and in over 3.5yrs I've been here I think this may possibly have been mentioned once a long time ago, so doesn't seem to be a major issue (IMO).

The Street Triple though was definitely a similar issue as the knees/legs sat and rubbed directly on the tank, hence I had the clear paint protection kit fitted.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline SimonF59

• Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 07:45:12 AM »
Stevie P, yes I think you are right. IMO I think the servicing dealer has not put the tank back on exactly right. As the mark was not there at the 24000 mile service. So I have approached both the dealer and Triumph with the problem. As you say it is not a problem everyone is experiencing then as I keep telling Triumph, I feel it is a tolerance issue, the is to far back or to one side, and the seat too long, something like that.
The thing that wound me up about the whole thing, is both Triumph and the dealer have run for the hills. Neither has even offered an explanation, or investigated it. I have had the bike serviced every 6000 by the dealer I bought the bike from, so I thought they would at least offer to look at it properly, but no, thats fair wear and tear mate. Shame as its gonna affect your trade in price!!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 09:15:01 AM »
Problem with the tank not aligned theory I think is that the two side bolts are such a tight fit unless you have the tank properly alighed they (the bolts) will not screw in.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline SimonF59

• Tiger Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 02:26:06 PM »
Okay, having never removed the tank I would not have known that, as I was saying it was just a thought.

Then perhaps it is the seat, as that has a lot of flex in it plus can be installed slightly out of line, but surely the design should either not allow this to happen, or the seat materiel should not be such that it can rub through paint.

The 2 'dimples' look like at some point a spacer was intended. Perhaps this is the answer install some high density foam pads thick enough to brace the seat away from the tank.

*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Problem with the tank not aligned theory I think is that the two side bolts are such a tight fit unless you have the tank properly alighed they (the bolts) will not screw in.

Recent Topics