Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lube suspension linkage and swingarm bearings?  (Read 891 times)

Online grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
Re: Lube suspension linkage and swingarm bearings?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:18:43 AM »
I don't think so,  but I got a centre stand. I used one on my VN1500
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »
On the absence of a centre stand, a scissor jack (as shown) would be ok, stability is the main issue. Once the linkages are unbolted the last thing you need is the bike falling over on it's side....

Offline skinneroo

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger road
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 09:04:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rorut [+]
Do you remove the OEM protection engine guard when using the scissor jack?

I used a scissor jack with two pieces of wood placed underneath the lugs that are below the footrests.
This placed the weight on the jack and the front wheel.

Offline skinneroo

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger road
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 09:09:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by street tango [+]
Yes. There is never much lube in there from the factory. Hopefully they were done at the 12k, but rarely get done. Even main dealers seem to overlook it.
The bike will need the rear to be off the ground so ideally need a main stand or ABBA stand etc.
Should any bearings need replacement fit proper full compliment bearings as OE and not go for cheap caged bearings that have 1/2 the load capacity.
My friend Clive Wood (Triumph independent) says its all models that suffer not just 800's and on average 75% of triumphs out there have at least one failed bearing, sometimes more. So much so he has linkages ready made up too exchange as it can take up time swapping them and its already a full day doing a 12k!! some models can have 6 that need replacing.
Its a easy job if all is ok but can be a time consuming and expensive job if overlooked.

Even if you use a reputable supplier and buy good quality, the bearings can still be bought a fair bit cheaper.

Online street tango

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 11:03:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by skinneroo [+]
Even if you use a reputable supplier and buy good quality, the bearings can still be bought a fair bit cheaper.

Yes, this is true. But vet the correct full compliment bearings.

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
Manual says that I should reinstall the drop and drag links with new nuts which I dont have :(... Would it be ok to reuse the old ones. Maybe use some blue loctite?

Offline Cats

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »
It'll be fine. I've re-used the same nuts 3 times now. Use Loctite if you want.
Manuals always cover their arse in case anyone tries to sue, so i'm going to say don't do what i do.  :420:
Tiger 800. There's no effing need for it.
Gnats cock

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 09:03:09 PM »
Thanks!
All inspected and greased now. Did not use any loctite. Those bolts went off/on with a lot of resistance. Same type of locking nuts that holds the sump guard.
All my bearings were fine and had grease on them (24K miles). A couple of bolts had som rust that eventually maybe would have contaminated the bearings. Feels good its done! Thanks for all help

Recent Topics