Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lube suspension linkage and swingarm bearings?  (Read 1525 times)

Online Rorut

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Lube suspension linkage and swingarm bearings?
« on: February 12, 2019, 06:19:20 PM »
Just finished valve shims and moving on with the 24K service list...
Any special tools needed for linkage and swing arm? Any known problems in those areas? Or well greased from factory?
Do I need to support the bike in any good places before starting?
Thanks

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Lube suspension linkage and swingarm bearings?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 06:37:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rorut [+]
... linkage and swing arm? Any known problems in those areas? Or well greased from factory?

AIUI no, the suspension linkage and steering bearings are often pitifully greased at the factory and they are often found dry at the scheduled 12k service, so if your bike was correctly serviced at 12k they may be well greased still. I recently asked about the swing arm bearings here on forum because they aren't mentioned on the service schedule and was informed that they are pretty reliable sealed bearings so don't really need attention. :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Rorut

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks, good to hear about swing arm!
So can I just start removing the suspension linkage with the bike on the side stand?
Or will stability be affected?

Offline CB250G5

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:19:09 PM »
Just done mine at 12,000.

Front & rear bearings had a small dollop of grease, maybe 1/2 a dollop, not enough really.

However bolts in rear were all assembled dry, and were corroding badly, so reassembled with plenty of copaslip, after cleaning up.

Been the same story throughout the bike.  Front axle clamp bolts needed 18" bar to undo and axle itself took my 24" torque wrench & much jumping up & down to undo.

Just waiting on 5 shims & I'll put it all back together.
2015 Tiger 800 XRx, Yamaha RD350YPVS special, Yamaha TDR250 (being rebuilt), Yamaha SRX400 Super Single and a Voskhod 175

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 07:07:32 AM »
I always assumed the swinging arm bearings were part of the schedule,  I do them anyway. I can give rear of engine a clean while arm is out. I do every year which  is 6000/ 8000 miles depending how many times I 'crossed the water'

Safe Riding
Dave
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 09:05:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rorut [+]
Thanks, good to hear about swing arm!
So can I just start removing the suspension linkage with the bike on the side stand?
Or will stability be affected?

Not on the side stand, need to be centre stand to undo the linkage arms. I also chocked the rear wheel up to where it sits when on the C stand, stops it from dropping on undoing bolts..

Online Rorut

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 09:07:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
Not on the side stand, need to be centre stand to undo the linkage arms. I also chocked the rear wheel up to where it sits when on the C stand, stops it from dropping on undoing bolts..
I dont have a center stand on my XC

Offline street tango

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 09:09:02 AM »
Yes. There is never much lube in there from the factory. Hopefully they were done at the 12k, but rarely get done. Even main dealers seem to overlook it.
The bike will need the rear to be off the ground so ideally need a main stand or ABBA stand etc.
Should any bearings need replacement fit proper full compliment bearings as OE and not go for cheap caged bearings that have 1/2 the load capacity.
My friend Clive Wood (Triumph independent) says its all models that suffer not just 800's and on average 75% of triumphs out there have at least one failed bearing, sometimes more. So much so he has linkages ready made up too exchange as it can take up time swapping them and its already a full day doing a 12k!! some models can have 6 that need replacing.
Its a easy job if all is ok but can be a time consuming and expensive job if overlooked.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:25:13 AM by street tango »

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 09:11:02 AM »
You need ac scissor jack

https://goo.gl/images/WcjtUA
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Online Rorut

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by grizzlybear [+]
You need ac scissor jack

https://goo.gl/images/WcjtUA
Do you remove the OEM protection engine guard when using the scissor jack?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch