Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adventure Spec Luggage plate - Review  (Read 611 times)

Offline Cadence

• Tiger Member
  • Moan Loading - Please Wait
  • Bike: 2018 XCx
Adventure Spec Luggage plate - Review
« on: February 16, 2019, 08:49:40 PM »
Hi All,

My new 2018 MY Tiger XCx came with Expedition panniers (nice job Givi!), however I  thought the Triumph top box was a bit of a monster so looked for a decent rear carrier plate. I like to have a rack to carry camping gear, dry bags and and irregular sized cargo. The standard plastic thingy is next to useless

I looked around and was surprised that there werent too many options. In the end I went for the AS plate - plenty of tie down points and a slight edge at the back to help stop stuff sliding back. I couldnt get a real idea of the size but took a flier and ordered it. Cost was 65 plus a fairly hefty 7.50 postage.

Ive bought AS kit before and its usually well made, however the foot extender I ordered at the same time was a hopeless fit and had to go back.

Fitting should be a breeze as its just 4 bolts to remove and 4 longer replacement stainless countersink screws to replace them. The original plastic plate stays put and the new rack mounts above it on spacers

Simples I thought - not so. The Triumph plastic plate has elongated bolt holes to allow some fiddle factor when positioning it. The AS plate allows zero movement and the new screws also pass through nicely machined black anodised spacers. As a result, the trajectory of the mounting hardware is pretty inflexible. The whole thing screws into threads in the metal grab handles.

After a few attempts is was clear it wasnt going to fit - no problem on the spacing front to back, however the side to side spacing was out. You can see from the picture below where the screws have scraped paint from the grab handles near the mounting points

I really like the carrier - perfect size IMO, so I made a cuppa and had another go.

In the end it was fairly simple to fix. I loosened both grab handle mounting bolts and hauled them away from the bike whilst re tightening (knee on the pannier frames job). For reasons I cant really explain, I gained a couple of millimetres  and with a little juggling I got it bolted down square.

I should have really added a couple of washers to achieve the same effect but the chassis bolts must have had lashings of thread lock and were buggers to move - I went for the lazy solution.

The AS plate looks right on the bike particularly alongside  black expedition panniers.

All set for touring now  :001:
Previous bikes: KTM690 Enduro R, KTM400EXC Factory, BMW R1200GS Adv, BMW G650GS, 1953 Norton ES2 500, 1953 Norton Model 50, KTM640 Duke 2, Harley Davidson FDFX, Honda XR400R, Kawasaki Z900, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki KE125, Suzuki AS50

Offline TDU

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Adventure Spec Luggage plate - Review
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 10:42:02 AM »
HI Cadence

I'm interested in the rack you purchased for your XC.

Do I read correctly .. the original rack STAYS in place under the new one ?

This sounds a bit overkill to me

Thanks

Marc
Suzuki GSX1400
Yamaha XT250 (Missed)
Yamaha XT660 (Gone to a new home :-)
Triumph Tiger 800 XRx

Offline Cadence

• Tiger Member
  • Moan Loading - Please Wait
  • Bike: 2018 XCx
Re: Adventure Spec Luggage plate - Review
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 01:42:34 PM »
Hello,
The original rack is more of a plastic cover that protects the electrics etc underneath. If you ditch it youll be in a world of trouble in bad weather.

The AS rack is mounted on spacers above and doesnt touch the original plastic jobby.

Im currently  on the ferry heading back from Spain having covered 2,500 miles with a medium sized Ortlieb bag on the rack. It worked well with plenty of tie down options.

Personally I dont like dealing with Adventure Spec who I find curt & unhelpful on occasions. However this was the best option out there IMO.
Previous bikes: KTM690 Enduro R, KTM400EXC Factory, BMW R1200GS Adv, BMW G650GS, 1953 Norton ES2 500, 1953 Norton Model 50, KTM640 Duke 2, Harley Davidson FDFX, Honda XR400R, Kawasaki Z900, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki KE125, Suzuki AS50

Recent Topics