Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How much is 2nd hand aluminium luggage worth?  (Read 440 times)

Offline thosirl

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
How much is 2nd hand aluminium luggage worth?
« on: February 19, 2019, 03:19:46 PM »
Hi all,
I'm selling my Tiger 80 XRT here in Ireland, and considering splitting the full set of luggage and selling it separately to the bike. What is the full set of silver aluminium Expedition luggage worth, top box and panniers, including the mounting racks etc? It's in great condition, panniers have never been used, top box has usual spot marks on it, could do with a polish, but generally perfect working order.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline thosirl

• Tiger Member
Re: How much is 2nd hand aluminium luggage worth?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »
Also, for keys & barrels - given it's same key, they would need to be changed - is that a dealer job, or do they barrels swap out with something different?

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 08:02:15 AM »
I think a top box or two have been on here recently for around 200, plus 50 for the mount. Perhaps 500-600 for the lot? I've heard changing the barrels can be a pain.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 08:08:19 AM »
On the bike they effectively is worth nothing. Off the bike they are worth something.
If nothing else you can advertise the bike without the panniers then use them as an incentive to somebody who is interested but wants to negotiate the price down. It all depends whether you can be bothered and are prepared for the possible hassle of making two or even three sales (bike, panniers and top box separately) rather than one.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 10:02:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by thosirl [+]
Also, for keys & barrels - given it's same key, they would need to be changed - is that a dealer job, or do they barrels swap out with something different?

Just go and get 2 keys cut (they won't be chipped to your ignition) and supply with existing locks fitted. Just make it clear in your sales advert. Some might not want to have to have a separate key for luggage others may not be bothered if the price is right. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline thosirl

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Just go and get 2 keys cut (they won't be chipped to your ignition) and supply with existing locks fitted. Just make it clear in your sales advert. Some might not want to have to have a separate key for luggage others may not be bothered if the price is right. :028:

I'd be more concerned with the guy who has the bike, and I've given another cut of his key away with some luggage. I wouldnt be too happy knowing that.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 10:41:31 AM »
why would it be an issue, are you planning on sending your bike reg and new owner details/address to the buyer of the luggage. The only thing the unchipped key can do is unlock the steering lock and any teenage scumbag could snap that free without the key in seconds. :187:

I was just offering an easy solution to the lock issue taken by others previously selling luggage in the same position. Bottom line, your decision.

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Cumbria_Paul

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 10:50:01 AM »
I have spare barrel to match my keys, so if you want to sell top box (I have expedition panniers) let me know as keys/locks not an issue  :028:
Mid life crisis? Nah just the usual lifelong one :)

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 10:54:31 AM »
The person who buys the panniers should have spare barrels anyway if they purchased the bike new. Barrels keyed to the ignition come with the owners manual kit. Let them change the barrels themselves to their own keys.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 11:01:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
The person who buys the panniers should have spare barrels anyway if they purchased the bike new. Barrels keyed to the ignition come with the owners manual kit. Let them change the barrels themselves to their own keys.

:0461:
As you say 'Should have' but often not, if as said, not bought brand new.
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24437.msg272636.html#msg272636

Recent Topics

winded-staunch