Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Schoolboy error and lucky escape (and thank you to TigerTools)  (Read 591 times)

Offline squinius

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
Schoolboy error and lucky escape (and thank you to TigerTools)
« on: February 19, 2019, 10:48:36 PM »
Was running late to head off to London Bike on Sunday, only to discover flat battery on account of having been parked up for last month or so.  No problem thought I - quick jump start off the car battery and make sure I don't stall before I get to the show.  Lifted bonnet on the Beetle, red is positive and black is negative - right?  OK, so there was only a reddish brown and a black lead coming off the car battery so I looked no further and went to connect up thge jump leads.  Bang!  Flash!

On closer inspection the "black" lead was indeed black whencoming off the top of the battery but soon morphed into a red lead down by the side of the battery and off into the bowels of the engine compartment.

Kicked myself for rushing, and re-connected the other way round.  No more fireworks and I was able to start up the bike no problem. 

Disconnected jump leads and started riding bike toward London.  A couple of miles down the road I noticed the amber engine warning light on and swore to myself.  Should I turn back for home?  Sod it, the bike was running smoothly and the headlights were bright so I pressed on.  The bike show was a bit of a disappointment (but that's another story). No problems starting the engine for the journey home so clearly the charging circuit was doing it's stuff just fine.  However the engine warning light persisted.

Back at base I plugged in a laptop with TigerTools installed and connected up to the bike.  An error was being reported on the "5v regulated circuit", so I clicked the "Reset Codes" button and turned the bike off and back on again.  Happy days - no more engine warning light and no more errors being reported.

I reckon I got away quite lightly with that stupid error, and had expected to have frazzled at least one of the sensors or at worst the ECU.

May there's protection built into the electrics just in case a numpty like me comes along and tries to fry the bike.

Anyway, no harm done and all is well with the world.

Sq.

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2012
Re: Schoolboy error and lucky escape (and thank you to TigerTools)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 12:12:20 AM »
Good story with a happy ending  :169:  :047:
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline CopthorneRob

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRt
Re: Schoolboy error and lucky escape (and thank you to TigerTools)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 11:32:56 AM »
Big sigh of relief there indeed  :001: :001:

Agree with the sentiments on the bike show. I went Saturday and was very disappointed.

Recent Topics