Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: police  (Read 1471 times)

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: police
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 08:14:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Long time since the UK Police used Triumph Saints  :038:

In the United Kingdom, the most common police motorcycles are the BMW R1200RT-P and the Yamaha FJR1300. UK police forces have withdrawn the Honda ST1300 Pan-European since the death of an officer was blamed on the machine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_motorcycle

Police motorcycles are a quite special breed of bike and only a couple of manufacturers actually make them. Triumph do not.
The bikes may look like standard bikes with flashing lights but they have completely different electrics, different seat and pannier arrangements and in most markets altered gearbox ratios.
Here in Australia and I assume in other countries there are quite complex corporate lease arrangements between the manufacturer and the Police department. Triumph obviously dont see any benefit in getting into that market and I actually think it is probably a good move on their part. Moto 2 will be stretching their resources anough for the next few years and will probably provide them with more advertising benefit than Police motorcycles would.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:16:31 PM by K1W1 »

Online Wullie

• Tiger Master
  • Triumph Trophy TR6 (1969) Triumph Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 09:46:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Not sure if any of these made it on the road. They look so dated, but I guess it was 34 years ago!

Might look dated now but a lot higher spec than the '69 version!  A couple of leg guards and a wobbly aerial on the back for the radio-telephone.  I can't find any decent pictures on the web unfortunately.

Wullie

Offline TAStiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 xrt
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 09:55:28 PM »
HA  K1W1 you going to the GP at the island ??  :104:

mk
theirs only 3 speeds fast . faster and ooo sh*t

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 01:24:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Not sure if any of these made it on the road. They look so dated, but I guess it was 34 years ago!

Not Harris produced T140's, but (without researching) have a feeling that Meriden, near its dying days, trialled the T140AV model (anti-vibration - rubber engine mounts) with the Police, vibration having been a major issue for radio equipment.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Not Harris produced T140's, but (without researching) have a feeling that Meriden, near its dying days, trialled the T140AV model (anti-vibration - rubber engine mounts) with the Police, vibration having been a major issue for radio equipment.

They did. I have a photo of the police model at the bike show, probably in the early 80s. IIRC, South Yorkshire police ordered some, not sure about other forces.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 03:41:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
... Meriden, near its dying days, trialled the T140AV model (anti-vibration - rubber engine mounts)...

I was close T140ES AV forgot the 'Electric start' . though in fairness it is a very poor electric start arrangement worthy of forgetting. :008:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 04:51:07 PM »
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 04:51:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I'd be surprised to see a German policeman on anything other than a BMW.

Berlin Police bought Moto Guzzis couple of years ago. Had loads of trouble and went back to BMWs. Over here in the State of Hesse some bike cops were on Yamaha FJR 1300s bought in 2004 again Hesse came back to BMWs. The cops in Saxonia have two Victory Cross Countrys... now that is very unsual.

There used to be a downsized R 900 RT for the rozzers but as far as I know they are now on standard R 1200 RT with special equipment.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Recent Topics