Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Anakee 2?  (Read 991 times)

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Michelin Anakee 2?
« on: February 25, 2019, 09:37:53 PM »
Anyone experienced with the anakee2? Also looking at Mitas E07.
Doing 90% pavement.

Will go from 100/90 to 110/80

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Michelin Anakee 2?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 01:10:49 AM »
I have had the Anakee 2 and 3 tyres.  Overall good experience. Excellent wet weather performance on pavement. A bit noisy and rumbly compared to Pilot Road. Also consider that the Anakee design doesn't offer you anything in muddy conditions. If conditions call for knobbies, no road variation is going to work well. 

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 07:14:19 AM »
Anakee 3's - much improved over 2's, will last twice as long as the favoured more road orientated tyres  :028:

I've put a second set on after having switched to the pilot road's as I thought they offered as much grip and work well on the bike, and as mentioned will last much longer. I got around 10,000 miles from the Anakee 3's as opposed to about 6,000 from the Pilot roads  :017: :125:

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 08:38:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by UncleGary [+]
I have had the Anakee 2 and 3 tyres.  Overall good experience. Excellent wet weather performance on pavement. A bit noisy and rumbly compared to Pilot Road. Also consider that the Anakee design doesn't offer you anything in muddy conditions. If conditions call for knobbies, no road variation is going to work well.
Thanks! Sounds good. I never ride in any mud but I hope they will work ok on gravel roads.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 05:29:26 PM »
I'm on my 4th set on Anakees, 10k miles is normal for me and have been perfect in all weathers.

Offline HarryPothead

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XRx 15
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 08:18:39 PM »
I can only speak from experience with the Pilot Road 4 and Pilot Road 5, but.. Damn. The Michelin stick to the road like dung off of a shovel. They are absolutely fantastic. Scrubbing in? Absolutely not required; the carcass isn't separated using a polymer anymore, they use compressed water. Tyres are sticky out of the factory these days.  I've genuinely not felt this confident in a tyre since I used the Metzeler Roadtec 01 (also, hardly scrubbed in). However, BW501/502 and Battlax T31 (I forget the numerical nomenclature)... I never realised how utterly crap they were until I swapped to Metzeler and Michelin.

Anyway, I digress.

Be completely honest with yourself - How much off-road will you actually be doing? You say 10% off-road, but when most people say that, the only border they cross from "nice" to "rough" is asking their Mrs if they can take the bike out of a spin on a sunny Sunday morning. You need to balance your expectations, for example:

Assuming 6300-9000 miles on-road, 700-1000 miles on gravel -
Do you want a tyre that is going to perform in an absolutely, unbelievably, stellar fashion; irrespective of the weather, on the road and get through 6300 miles. Provided, they will supply you with the utmost confidence to tackle the tarmac - Whilst you traverse the other 700 with only mild-unease.

Or..

Do you want a tyre that leaves you travelling 9000 miles, with a slightly twitchy arse in adverse conditions, yet only slightly improves your off-road confidence through 1000 miles?

I don't know about you mate, but if I was spending 90-99.999% of my time on the road, I'd be going with the PR5 (Trail) - or the Roadtec 01.

If you're wondering what the difference between the Michelin PR and PR Trail is - The regular PR has a harder compound down the centre; boosting your mileage for the tarmac, where the PR Trail has an all-together, softer compound down the centre and mid-centre to help improve your grip on a "heavy" bike. I suppose, your Tiger is more likely to support a pillion and/or a full compliment of luggage, where the Daytona/Street Triple will predominantly be getting thrown around the roads, like an absolutely maniac, whilst solo. You'd need the extra traction with the extra weight.

However, considering that I've ploughed the poor motor up to 88MPH in third, this can also be done on your Tiger  :123:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:01:06 PM by HarryPothead »

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:01:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by HarryPothead [+]
I don't know about you mate, but if I was spending 90-99.999% of my time on the road, I'd be going with the PR5 (Trail) - or the Roadtec 01.

I had PR4s' and replaced the worn out rear (front 50%) with a PR5 all trail version). Had them all fitted at Protyre (GupaP) and they tend to know their stuff. The guy on the customer desk reckoned the Roadtec 01 was slightly superior but agreed the PR5 was a sensible choice as the Roadtec (rear size) was another 80.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline HarryPothead

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:10:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I had PR4s' and replaced the worn out rear (front 50%) with a PR5 all trail version). Had them all fitted at Protyre (GupaP) and they tend to know their stuff. The guy on the customer desk reckoned the Roadtec 01 was slightly superior but agreed the PR5 was a sensible choice as the Roadtec (rear size) was another 80.

I completely forgot to mention that - The Michelin were, indeed, the less expensive tyre!

The margin was about 15 for each tyre though, so 30 less expensive overall, from my dealership. But I wanted the PR5, regardless. The PR5 was "newer" than the Roadtec 01 and it had been rated to be 100% effective in the wet at 50% worn as a 100% PR4... Very impressive, indeed.

Not to mention, I'd already used the Roadtec 01 and was absolutely blown away in the wet (and dry, obviously). You can reach the shoulders of either tyre with absolute confidence.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:13:29 PM by HarryPothead »

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 09:28:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by HarryPothead [+]
I can only speak from experience with the Pilot Road 4 and Pilot Road 5, but.. Damn. The Michelin stick to the road like dung off of a shovel. They are absolutely fantastic. Scrubbing in? Absolutely not required; the carcass isn't separated using a polymer anymore, they use compressed water. Tyres are sticky out of the factory these days.  I've genuinely not felt this confident in a tyre since I used the Metzeler Roadtec 01 (also, hardly scrubbed in). However, BW501/502 and Battlax T31 (I forget the numerical nomenclature)... I never realised how utterly crap they were until I swapped to Metzeler and Michelin.

Anyway, I digress.

I don't think the PR is available in the 21" front. Hence why the OP is asking about the Anakee which is available in the 21" front.

Offline HarryPothead

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 09:34:26 PM »
Aaaah. He only mentioned his desired rear wheel size (110/80) and that he's on 90% tarmac.

I just assumed he was on a road bike!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:38:18 PM by HarryPothead »

Recent Topics