Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Action Cameras  (Read 754 times)

Offline mym

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
Action Cameras
« on: March 12, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »
as someone who commuted in and out of work every day on my tiger i have been wondering about equipping myself with a camera mounted somewhere  in case the worst happens, and possisbly for having a laugh(!) at some of the dopier driving i see.

i have a go pro hero at the mo, but wanted to know about peoples opinions on mounting them.

as its a large(ish) camera, do people mount them on helmets, or somewhere on the bike?

If you mount the gopro on your helmet, does it cause you any issues with the wind dragging on the camera causing your helmet to pull to one side, or am i worrying about nothing.

The other option is a different type of camera, i dont really want to be shelling out 150 on a drift or other camera, but i have seen the smaller poloroid cameras (little square ones) or even a thread with someone mounting dash cams.

do these catch enough, or are they limited in by being fixed (for catching drivers watching TV while driving for example)!

:465: Thanks!

Offline lanerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
Re: Action Cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 03:50:45 PM »

Offline mym

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »
yeah, thats part of what prompted this question.

sure its useful for catching bad driving, but not sure how well it would catch drivers themselves being distracted etc.

do people have issues with cameras mounted to helmets?

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »
I believe there are some countries where wearing a camera on a helmet is banned for safety reasons.  I have 2 Tomtom Bandits, one mounted on top of my offside foglight and the other is mounted on my Caberg helmet. Obviously the fixed camera gets a good view of everything straight ahead but the helmet camera picks up everything I look at including other riders/drivers misbehaving.

Offline The Reaper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 05:36:43 PM »
I have a Drift Ghost X attached to my helmet and I really rate it. The picture is not GoPro quality but I only use it as a dash cam so not too bothered about that.
Battery life is astounding (5 hours with the standard battery, 8 hours with the optional bigger one) and despite not being advertised as waterproof so far it's held up well, although you can purchase a waterproof cover if you wish.

For me personally this is purely used as a back up in case of an incident. I don't particularly agree with posting footage of bad driving on the net because at the end of the day none of us are perfect and we all make mistakes occasionally.
Blatantly dangerous driving is a different thing of course and deserves to be shared.

Offline lanerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 05:50:59 PM »
i have a sticker on my number plate saying dash cam recording since i have had front and rear cameras the car drivers have improved there driving when they see im equipped to recored footage of lazy bad driving ...... also good for proving pedestrians on the phone who just walk out in front of you its hard to get away from a recording showing the facts

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by mym [+]
as someone who commuted in and out of work every day on my tiger i have been wondering about equipping myself with a camera mounted somewhere  in case the worst happens, and possisbly for having a laugh(!) at some of the dopier driving i see.

i have a go pro hero at the mo, but wanted to know about peoples opinions on mounting them.

as its a large(ish) camera, do people mount them on helmets, or somewhere on the bike?

If you mount the gopro on your helmet, does it cause you any issues with the wind dragging on the camera causing your helmet to pull to one side, or am i worrying about nothing.

The other option is a different type of camera, i dont really want to be shelling out 150 on a drift or other camera, but i have seen the smaller poloroid cameras (little square ones) or even a thread with someone mounting dash cams.

do these catch enough, or are they limited in by being fixed (for catching drivers watching TV while driving for example)!

:465: Thanks!

I fitted an action cam to capture the SMIDSY drivers I often encounter (insurance proof) and to film some of the stunning scenery we see. I fabricated a simple L shape bracket and used a convenient button head allen screw to secure it to the bike. It's rock solid with almost zero vibration...got some great pin sharp footage over the Picos, I get over 4 hours filming with the 32gb micro-usb card.

I wired a usb socket to the horn live, so the camera starts filming automatically when I switch the ignition on and stops when I switch the bike off...I don't have to touch the camera buttons. Check out the pictures...gives an idea how I mounted it. I also use it as a car dash cam.  :002:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:42:13 PM by gordybrock »
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline restandplay

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCx
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 07:52:09 PM »
Hi

I have a GoPro Hero 3+ Blck Edition now surplus to requirements. It is absolutely as new come with three batteries , Remote control and memory cards. Obviously all the charging leads etc. Whole lot cost hundreds. If you can use it 100.00 including postage.

Derek

Recent Topics

winded-staunch