Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Newbie centre stand question  (Read 910 times)

Offline TigerWood

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
Newbie centre stand question
« on: March 13, 2019, 05:10:56 AM »
I'm sure this question has been asked before...

This is the first bike I've owned that doesn't come with a centre stand fitted as standard. It's a 2014 800ABS BTW.

How easy is it to centre stand at home? (a 1 or 2 person job). Or will i have to have it fitted professionally?

I need one fitted so I can clean and adjust the chain.

Thanks in advance

Ageing is mandatory. Maturity is optional

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Newbie centre stand question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:04:21 AM »
Easy home job to fit if you're handy with the spanners. Can be fitted whilst the bike is on the side stand or a paddock stand  :028:

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:50:55 AM »

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
In my (limited) experience I would not call it easy --- the process is straight forward but needs a bit of thought (IMHO).
I fitted one, removed it and fitted it to another bike- so I do have some knowledge.

I used a paddock stand and imo using the side stand would be awkward. Much easier with the bike standing square.

My memory is now a bit vague but the problem I had was installing the anti rotation collar. There were too many bits to hold square and centred to get the bolt through and the thread engaged.

I finally figured out that using a much longer bolt to get everything lined up and in place was the answer.
Use a long bolt, line everything up, gently unscrew the long bolt holding the parts in place, gently insert the correct bolt and tighten slowly.
Apart from that it was straight forward although I recollect it took a bit of time.
Obviously double check that you are starting with the stand facing the correct way 😉.
It is however Def a DIY job.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 11:53:48 PM »
You need a rear paddock stand, jack, or a hoist, you cannot do this using the side stand as someone incorrectly posted. The sidestand mounts must be temporarily removed. The Triumph installation guide is sufficient instruction. You might have trouble installing the springs. Stretch  them separately, one at a time,it  is easier.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline TigerWood

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 05:04:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply's

I dont have access to a track stand and buying one isn't practical due to storage.

Thanks Kempy, the instructions are a great insight to fitting the stand.

I'm ok with spanners etc but it looks like a call to the dealership is in order.

Offline D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 08:53:29 AM »
Whereabouts are you? There are several Kingswoods but the Warwickshire and Solihull ones are local to me and I'd gladly give you a hand and lend you my Abba stand.

Offline TigerWood

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 04:38:31 AM »
Thanks for the offer D6864 but I'm in Surrey :161:

Offline TigerWood

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 04:00:34 PM »
Went for a ride today and popped into Laguna Motorcycles in Maidstone and asked for a quote on the price of a centre stand for my bike and was told 157+ VAT which I thought was a reasonable price, I was then told its a discontinued part!
To say, I was a bit shocked to hear Triumph no longer make them even for a 5 year bike is an understatement!

I know this is a long shot but are there any forum members out there who might know where I can purchase of a new or used stand with all the fittings
The stand part No is A9778036

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
Find the Line

Recent Topics