Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dave (Muddy Sump)  (Read 801 times)

Offline Bixtablot

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Dave (Muddy Sump)
« on: March 13, 2019, 07:45:52 AM »
Just to say I had  a visit from Dave yesterday. He arrived bang on time, as usual , he carried out the work well, as usual and charged reasonably, also as usual. What else can you say about that.

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
Re: Dave (Muddy Sump)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »
 He does a great job. But unfortunately he tells me he can't service 2018 bikes. I hope he can soon.
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline sprint

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 08:59:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Grumps [+]
He does a great job. But unfortunately he tells me he can't service 2018 bikes. I hope he can soon.

Did he give a reason as to why, as mechanically they are the same or is it down to potential warranty conflict?

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 10:23:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by sprint [+]
Did he give a reason as to why, as mechanically they are the same or is it down to potential warranty conflict?

Something to do with the updates so I assume what he does on a computer.
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 09:15:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bixtablot [+]
Just to say I had  a visit from Dave yesterday. He arrived bang on time, as usual , he carried out the work well, as usual and charged reasonably, also as usual. What else can you say about that.

Strongly seconded. Brilliant service. Though I do think I should get a rebate for all of the dog food Vincent nicks out of my dog's bowl  :001:  :001:  :001:
You're never too old to have a happy childhood :-)

Past Bikes: Panther 600, BSA Bantam, Lambretta TV 175, Lambretta GT200, AJS 125, Suzuki Gladius, Honda NT700. Present: Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by sprint [+]

A lot of stuff now only has a virtual service and maintenance/warranty record, all stored on a server controlled by the manufacturer.
The first thing they do is plug the bike in and see what work needs doing, rather than following a strict list of duties and tasks.
Not sure whether or not Triumph has taken that route yet but it's coming, as sure as the sunrise.

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:31:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
A lot of stuff now only has a virtual service and maintenance/warranty record, all stored on a server controlled by the manufacturer.
The first thing they do is plug the bike in and see what work needs doing, rather than following a strict list of duties and tasks.
Not sure whether or not Triumph has taken that route yet but it's coming, as sure as the sunrise.

In the US there is a strong interest in passing Right to Repair legislation. The supporters range from farmers to cellphone and computer users. Basically this legislation would break the manufacturer/dealer control over a product after the sale with regard to service and repairs. A cellphone owner should be able to buy a screen or battery and a farmer should be allowed access to parts and technology to fix his tractor.

Years ago the US passed laws to prevent manufacturers/dealers from voiding warranties if a consumer makes repairs that meet the quality specifications that dealers meet. An example would be that dealer can't void your warranty for changing your own oil using proper grades of oil and a filter that meets the standard.

If the US passes a strong Right to Repair law, it will have an impact on Triumph's policies if they want to sell bikes here.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC & Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »
As I understand it, the EU passed legislation about 3 years ago making access to motorcycle manufacturer / dealer diagnostic software and service data available to all, for a fee of course. The TriTun website covers Triumph bikes and provides access to service manuals, records etc. This gives you the right and the tools to carry out service work on your own bike without having to take a trip to your dealer.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XCA
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 09:06:05 PM »
isnt this the same issue that led to OBD ports on cars so not just manufacturers could service.........and the on following security issues!

Recent Topics