Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: French speeding fine question  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Squirrelly

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
French speeding fine question
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:03:31 PM »
Can any of our French friends answer this question for me please. ( I'm a UK citizen)

This morning I received by post a French violation notice speeding fine.
A 201D - Mesta camera checked me at 87km/h (speed used 82km/h - 5%) in a 70km/h zone .
It's a 45e fine if paid now, rising to 180e if not paid in time.

My question is; The offence took place on 17/09/2018 but the notice is dated 05/03/2019.
Is there a time limit between a speeding offence taking place and a violation notice being issued?
In this case it's nearly 6 months!

In the UK a notice of prosecution and fine must be issued within 14 days of the speeding offence.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
Re: French speeding fine question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:16:36 PM »
French limit is 12 months. On a motorhome site I frequent loads of people are getting fines from around Aug/Sep last year.
The French must be rushing through their money-grubbing process to get us all pre-Brexit.

Fine seems to be set at E45.
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »
Was this in a car or bike, i.e. forward facing camera?

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:47:18 PM »
What happens if you just ignored it? Would they demand your extradition? Would you be sent to the guillotine? Exactly what legal jurisdiction do they have over us Brits? Do you seriously think a French trucker would pay a UK fine sent 6 months after the event? Personally, I'd let them whistle for their 45 euros.  :232:
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 06:50:19 PM »
I understand that the UK courts would enforce a French fine but it's not the same the other way round.

If you were there at the time and it is likely to be genuine just pay up and avoid France for the forseeable future. I am. They can lose my Euro spend because of their attitude to the UK

Offline Squirrelly

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grumps [+]
French limit is 12 months.

Grumps,  where did you find the 12 months figure?    I've looked on AA, RAC, DVLA and Home Office sites and Googled it to death and couldn't find a time limit quoted anywhere.

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 07:19:09 PM »
I'll check. Pretty sure it's right

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 07:19:41 PM »
AIUI it appears the UK will enforce any EU issued motoring offence while making no attempt to make it reciprocal, allowing foreign drivers, particularly lorries, to just flaunt the UK traffic laws with no attempt made to do anything once they leave the country. :211: :027:

As for ignoring the fine, computers never forget (though may crash), so unless you are 100% sure you will never return to France probably best to bite the bullet and pay.  :173:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 07:38:51 PM »
The EU has put a system in place to share driver details across borders, for some safety-related driving offences:

It only applies where the offender isn't penalised while still in the country
It only applies to specific, road safety-related offences:
Speeding
Drink/drug driving
Seatbelt/crash helmet
Red light/forbidden lane, and
Mobile phone offences
The UK joined the system for new offences committed after 6 May 2017
What does this mean?
Basically, if you commit one of the listed offences and the authorities in another country request your details, then DVLA will now have to provide them.

The new regulation (SI 2017/554) requires the DVLA to provide details of the registered keeper/owner at the time of the alleged traffic offence if the authorities in another EU country contact DVLA within 12 months of the date of the alleged offence with:

Details of the alleged offence (date, time, location)
Vehicle registration number
Vehicle category and, if known, its make and model

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-offence-abroad

Offline Squirrelly

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
They have me bang to rights for the offence.  It was me in exactly the place and time stated in the car.

Sadly,  I travel through France at least twice a year and with ANPR cameras everywhere especially at Autoroute tolls and customs posts it wouldn't be difficult to be pulled by le flick to collect their winnings plus non-payment additions.

I'm not unaware of the disparity of fines and rule enforcement between us and them and the irony of an imminent Brexit isn't lost on me either.  My only hope of avoiding paying was the 6 months delay.  If it is 12 months then I'mas well just gritting my teeth and paying up.... :023:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch