Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bikes dead.help  (Read 750 times)

Offline Bulld01

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger
Bikes dead.help
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:06:39 PM »
Went to bike last night,  all dead, battery was also dead, charged over night, shows 13.6 bolts now on my multi meter, bike still won't even go through start up process, just dead, I have a very dim pilot light, immobilized light is working, but no lights, dash or fuel injection primer sound, checked all connections, tank is off, spare key tried, still no joy, I did at one point have the rev counter spin over when I switched off instead of when I switched on. 

I have no idea where to go from here,
Dave B

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Bikes dead.help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19:31 PM »
Start with the basics
Take the seat and tank off and check for any lose connectors or chafing cables
Take the battery out and check the solenoid connections and fuse

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline skinneroo

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger road
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:20:51 PM »
Bit obvious, but have you abraded and tightened battery connections/

Offline Cats

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:34:15 PM »
Is it the original battery? Could be useless even though it shows 13 volts.
Tiger 800. There's no effing need for it.
Gnats cock

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:00:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cats [+]
Is it the original battery? Could be useless even though it shows 13 volts.

Agree. The battery is possibly collapsing as soon as load it placed on it. The voltage across the terminals with no load really tells you nothing.

Offline Bulld01

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »
battery terminals are good, all connectors I can find are good, cannot get the solenoid off to check though, but I do have power hence pilot light and immobilized warning light, it was I believe caused by a broken smart charger, which  I believe was drawing power not charging, lights were all on so you could not tell, but I have recharged the battery to no avail, I hope it is just a dead battery, easy fix
Dave B

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
1st stage is open circuit test, see Yuasa link.
https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/motorcycle-and-powersport/installation-testing-and-maintenance/

As it says in the link, if that shows good but still no power it needs a load test but not the poor mans load test using the starter, that best way of trashing the sprag. Best take it to a battery dealer & get it load tested properly.

You could have a problem caused by that wrongly wired/connected charger.

Load test
/>

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 01:29:24 PM »
Before you get too excited, have you checked your kill switch is on? the bike isn't in gear with the side stand down, you are pulling the clutch in?

Offline Bulld01

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 10:54:10 PM »
Tried jump start today off a car battery, ignition comes on but will not crank over, with or without the bike battery connected ( car connect via jump leads to battery leads of bike)no idea why.  New motobatt battery on order, hope that sorts it out
Dave B

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 12:01:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bulld01 [+]
Tried jump start today off a car battery, ignition comes on but will not crank over, with or without the bike battery connected ( car connect via jump leads to battery leads of bike)no idea why.  New motobatt battery on order, hope that sorts it out

Assuming that you have the jumper leads correctly connected that rules the battery out as the only cause. It was probably time for a new battery anyway so it will not be wasted but I suspect that unless you have the leads connected wrong installing a battery will not magically make it work.
Silly question I know but is the handlebar kill switch in the off (to stop the bike running) position? What you describe is exactly what happens when the switch is turned off.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch