Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger died and won't start  (Read 1876 times)

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: Tiger died and won't start
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 10:42:02 PM »
As per comments above, I'd definitely be looking at the alarm as the main culprit. There's a well documented issue with some Datatool S4 alarms going wrong and immobilising bikes. Read more here...

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24334.0.html

Also simple enough to find images online of the wiring links for the alarm blanking plug. This would allow you to remove the alarm from the circuit and test whether it's at fault. I wouldn't be putting any blame on the 5V circuit given your description of the fault.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 08:09:29 AM »
Just to follow-up on my last post, the engine kill switch and the start switch are both wired through the alarm connector. Since your bike cut-out while riding then I reckon the alarm connection in series with the engine kill switch is the one to look at. This feeds 12V to the fuel pump relay and contact A19 on the ECU.

Try discconnecting the alarm and putting a wire link to join pins 1&2 and another to join pins 3&5 of the alarm connector on the bike's wiring loom. If the bike starts then the alarm is at fault.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:17:13 AM by T800XC »

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Johnnys triumph

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »
Thanks all for your suggestions.
I've ordered a blanking plug so will try that, and will try the shorting of the wires in the mean time and will see if mine is part of the recall.
The large print giveth, the small print take the away

Offline Johnnys triumph

• Tiger Member
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 06:16:26 PM »
Well, eventually got to the alarm plug, disconnected and shorted the said pins.
The bike is doing more of what it should ie, neutral light on, gear numbers showing on LCD screen etc but still not starting as fuel still not showing after battery being disconnected.
Does anyone know of a quick fix for getting the fuel showing quickly after battery being disconnected? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Oh and after looking on the datatool website, my alarm is within the recall dates so will be getting in touch with them.

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 06:30:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Johnnys triumph [+]
...but still not starting as fuel still not showing after battery being disconnected.
Does anyone know of a quick fix for getting the fuel showing quickly after battery being disconnected? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

The fuel gauge level is irrelevant in terms of allowing the bike to start. Not sure where you heard/read that information, but it's simply not true.

Offline Zaphod

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC, Fazer 600
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 06:31:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Johnnys triumph [+]

I still don't recall anything about this. So have been out to the garage and disconnected the battery. Walked away from the bike for a minute or so. Connected it back up - fuel still showing, bike fired up immediately. So not quite what you're seeing, having the battery off doesn't affect the fuel showing. When I've had the tank off in the past (which I could understand meaning the bike wasn't sure how much fuel if any was in the tank), it's always fired up immediately as well.

I think you're on a red herring there.

Offline Johnnys triumph

• Tiger Member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 06:56:30 PM »
After taking the old battery off to charge up months ago and and when reconnecting battery had no fuel gauge and found this thread-
https://www.triumphtalk.com/threads/will-not-start-if-fuel-gauge-does-not-register.17859

Strangely when rocking bike from side to side at that moment the fuel gauge came back and bike started.

Offline Johnnys triumph

• Tiger Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 04:32:26 PM »
Does anybody have a wiring diagram of the fuel sensor/ecu connections?
Charged battery up, still showing no fuel and still not starting. Had tank off and getting a reading of 48-51 ohms from the fuel sensor this is with a full tank of fuel. Not sure what the reading should be.

Offline Zaphod

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC, Fazer 600
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 04:47:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
The fuel gauge level is irrelevant in terms of allowing the bike to start. Not sure where you heard/read that information, but it's simply not true.

Johnny, you would do well to listen to T800XC on this. Take it from me (and many others on here will back me up, even if they don't post to say so), he knows what he's talking about when it comes to the electrics on these bikes.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch