Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oxford heated grips & fog lights - 2015 800 XC - need some help  (Read 329 times)

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
Ok so after at lest 4 hours of work in my garage last Saturday didn't get anywhere  :003:

I have a set of Oxford heated grips that came on the bike (bought my bike used). Think they are model 691 (or at least similar). Unfortunately, never got to use them, as something is definitely wrong with them.

When I press the '+' button to switch the controller ON, they go to the lowest setting (sometime with at least half a dozen presses!) and I can see the green LED flashing ON & OFF. It is not lit up solid. Same with the other LEDs for 30-40-50-75-100. Same when trying to switch OFF. You have to press multiple times.

I have removed the seat and checkled fuses & battery terminal connections, all fine. I have removed fairing and traced the cable route and could see no issues/kinks etc. I am now lost as to the next step. It seems that the heat controller was not made for being opened. I have tried to pry the back (side) off with a knife, but no luck. Any similar experience?

Also, I would like to wire up my fog lights '+' terminal to an ignition supplied '+', this, so that it will not be possible to switch (leave?) them ON with the bike switched off. Where is the best place to tap into?

Thanks for any advice!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Oxford heated grips & fog lights - 2015 800 XC - need some help
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 11:07:00 AM »
Does this help?  From page 6 of the user manual.   

Battery saving mode (BSM)      This amazing new feature recognizes if either the battery voltage falls too low, or its high enough but suspiciously   quiet (ie. the engine has stopped)     When in this state, the BSM LED flashes, the power LED still lights as normal, and the button still works - but the    grips dont actually get powered.     As soon as the battery voltage recovers and/or theres a bit of noise on the power supply, the battery saving LED    goes out and the grips work as normal
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 12:47:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Does this help?  From page 6 of the user manual.   

Battery saving mode (BSM)      This amazing new feature recognizes if either the battery voltage falls too low, or its high enough but suspiciously   quiet (ie. the engine has stopped)     When in this state, the BSM LED flashes, the power LED still lights as normal, and the button still works - but the    grips dont actually get powered.     As soon as the battery voltage recovers and/or theres a bit of noise on the power supply, the battery saving LED    goes out and the grips work as normal

Thnaks for this! Unfortunately didn't get the user manual. I believe there is something wron with the controller itself. Anyone knows if this can be opened?

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 01:37:15 PM »
You can try.  Alternatively Oxford are quite helpful and offer replacement controllers.  Is there a serial number / manufacturing date on back of controller.  Might still be under warranty.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:45:40 PM »
I have the oxford controller on my enduro and by the look of it, it is not designed to be opened and is probably resin sealed to protect the components from the elements, they can be bought for less than 30 form ebay or direct from Oxford. the unit is just on plugs and sockets so it is very easy to change. I would also check the electrical resistance of each of the grips, these are also just on plugs and sockets, there should eb a few ohms value and not a short. Maybe just unplug the grips 1st and try the controller without them, you may a have a short causing the controller to fault.

There is already a socket under the tank intended for the Triumph fog lights, you should be able to use this for your feed.

Jmc

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 02:22:42 PM »
You can try.  Alternatively Oxford are quite helpful and offer replacement controllers.  Is there a serial number / manufacturing date on back of controller.  Might still be under warranty.

Many thanks and shall try this!

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMc [+]
I have the oxford controller on my enduro and by the look of it, it is not designed to be opened and is probably resin sealed to protect the components from the elements, they can be bought for less than 30 form ebay or direct from Oxford. the unit is just on plugs and sockets so it is very easy to change. I would also check the electrical resistance of each of the grips, these are also just on plugs and sockets, there should eb a few ohms value and not a short. Maybe just unplug the grips 1st and try the controller without them, you may a have a short causing the controller to fault.

There is already a socket under the tank intended for the Triumph fog lights, you should be able to use this for your feed.

Jmc

Thanks a lot. Will heed your advice. It's a royal PITA to remove the tank though...I only got to the side fairings and trims so far lol

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 04:17:06 PM »
Practice.  Just make sure the tank isn't full 'cause it's a heavy unwieldy beast of a thing when it is.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 03:23:09 PM »
Practice.  Just make sure the tank isn't full 'cause it's a heavy unwieldy beast of a thing when it is.

Good advice. Will have a good read through the workshop manual and take it from there. Thanks!

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 10:13:49 PM »
Did you have the engine running when you tried the grips?
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Recent Topics