Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery failure time  (Read 757 times)

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xrt
Battery failure time
« on: March 26, 2019, 07:23:58 PM »
Well due to sickness holiday and then more sickness I have been unable to ride my XRT for the past 3 weeks. Well today when I rolled her out of the garage to start my commute to work she wouldnt start so pushed her back in and put her on charge.

This made me think well how long can I expect the battery to last untouched before it really needs a topup 

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
Re: Battery failure time
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »
A lot of variables, temp the bike was kept in, parasitic drain from the bike, alarm, battery age. Sorry not much help but when I'm not using my bikes I keep them on a tender.

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 07:52:08 PM »
Hi Colin, Its a 2017 XRT kept in relatively cool garage,  only done 6500 miles,  and never had an issue before. It does not have an alarm but does have an imobiliser.

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 08:47:31 PM »
I got my XCX last year from a dealer with 5000 miles on it, when they delivered it the bike wouldn't start. They supplied a new battery and all was good, a one year old battery dead from the dealer, unfortunately it can happen. A battery should have enough power to start a standard Tiger (no electric drains) that has been sitting for at least a couple of months, providing it's in good condition.

Online Silverstripes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 09:20:00 PM »
Just left my 2018 XRT with 5k on it for 4 weeks. Started fine  :169:
It wasn't me !!

Offline TigerNige

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 10:26:18 PM »
Its not just the length of time before it wont start, A lead acid battery starts to degrade (sulphate) below 12.4 volts, I do say "Starts" to degrade, the lower it gets, and the longer time, will effect the overall life of any battery. My 2012 tiger battery expired last year, having spent most of its time connected to a maintenance charger (Optimate)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 03:23:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by nigelw6 [+]
...unable to ride my XRT for the past 3 weeks...wouldnt start...put her on charge.
This made me think well how long can I expect the battery to last untouched before it really needs a topup
*Originally Posted by ColinXCX [+]
A lot of variables, temp the bike was kept in, parasitic drain from the bike, alarm, battery age.
*Originally Posted by Silverstripes [+]
Just left my 2018 XRT with 5k on it for 4 weeks. Started fine  :169:
Divining from the T800 FSM: "For extended periods of storage (beyond two weeks)..."
"State of charge = 100% / Voltage = 12.8 V ~ 13.0 V / No charge needed - check in 6 months"
"State of charge = 75% ~ 100% / Voltage = 12.5 V ~ 12.8 V / May need slight charge (3 ~ 6 hours). If no charge given, check in 3 ~ 4 months"
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Scruffy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 06:52:59 AM »
In the past I have left my 2011 XC for months over the winter and it has still started. Batteries should last 3-5 years before they start to fail, though Some batteries are more sensitive than others to not being charged (I managed to kill my 2 year old Motobatt this winter when it was stored in the shed for 6 months - the battery for my wife's bike was fine). Check for a parasitic drain. This is easy to do. Disconnect the battery negative terminal and put a multimeter set on DCA between the negative terminal and the battery lead. After a few minutes, the current draw should be 50mA or less.

Offline Scruffy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 06:58:01 AM »
One other thought. Was the steering lock on? I have accidentally left the parking light on a number of times due to the stupid design of the Tiger ignition with the parking light just one tiny click away from the steering lock. Battery will be dead in a day if you do this.

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 05:02:22 PM »
Ok I have splashed out on an Optimate 3 charger and the bike has been hooked up to it for the past 24 hours and is now showing green maintenance mode so all looks ok. I will keep an eye on it and probably keep it on the charger on any day I dont need it to commute.

Recent Topics