Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Repair of tube type tyres?  (Read 2426 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: Repair of tube type tyres?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 11:04:33 PM »
Altho this topic seems to have been well covered, I saw this info in a m/c parts-site blog and it may help shed a bit more light?
How to Repair a Flat Tire on the Road: Tubeless tires vs. tubed tires, the clear winner is a tubeless tire. If youre sporting tubed tires, youre going to have a difficult time getting back on the road quickly.
The first step for tubed tires is to have the number of a tow service handy. Its likely that youll need to call it a day and head to the nearest mechanic. If youre a diehard DIYer, start practicing taking off your wheels and taking out your tube -- then, practice successfully patching an inner tube (in lieu of replacing it / although replacement is preferred).
Youll use the same basic strategy on the road, except without your cozy workbench and garage full of tools.
Ride-On Sealant is popular, and weve spoken to bikers who swear by the stuff. Sealant works by coating the interior of your tubes with goo that seals your tires. Its good in a pinch, but has a few major downsides. First, its the quickest way to get on the bad side of your local mechanic. If you do ever take your motorcycle in and ask for a replacement tube after coating it with this stuff, prepare for some dirty looks.
Rather than slapping a quick bandaid on the puncture, why not learn how to fix it the right way?
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 11:45:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
start practicing taking off your wheels and taking out your tube -- then, practice successfully patching an inner tube (in lieu of replacing it / although replacement is preferred).

You had better also practice checking the inner surface of the tyre thoroughly both visually and with your hand to make sure that whatever caused the puncture is not still sticking through the tyre when you reinstall the new or repaired tube. Maybe the person who wrote the article has never actually replaced a tube that has had a puncture.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 01:30:47 AM »
+1 to Kiwi. Really important to mark the tyre at the valve/rim position.

Why you may ask, because it may require you to fully inflate the tube to find the puncture/fault.

When you identify this you 'do' need to go back to that place on the actual tyre and find the offender.

This is important in that if you have actually removed the tyre how do you know where it was positioned on the rim and its relationship to the tube/puncture.

Offline DRNO9282

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 04:17:49 PM »
I would agree with all the comments about how time consuming and difficult a tube tire repair can be, but if you can master doing it and have the right tools you can handle almost any roadside repair. The group i ride with now on the trails wont allow any tubeless tire bikes on rides. Typical road flats are small punctures (nails,screws,etc) and a tubeless tire is a simple plug it and go scenario. But almost every trail flat i have encountered ends up being a gash or slice in the tire. Trying to plug something like that is never usually successful or even possible so the tire ends up coming off (if you can even get it off) for a patch or a tube. Just this year we had to leave a bike on the trail side for that exact scenario.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline craggsy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC800
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 04:17:20 AM »
I practiced on both front and back before my first big trip. Never done it before. Watched YouTube videos. I used 2 tyre spoons and 1 Lever.
 Lessons learned. It took a long time. It was almost as difficult putting the tyres back on, especially the front. Bead breaking was not as bad as I was expecting using lever and spoon together. Be careful not to pinch the tube when levering back on and having to do it all again, like me. The rims paint did not survive well. I gave up with rim guards, too difficult. Finally Do not do it again if you can help it 😀
On foreign trips I carry tools, spoons and levers, new tubes, patches, electric pump, gas canisters in case pump fails and holts stuff and rescue cover.
What a palaver.
Plan is to pump up first in case it is a slow puncture, then call rescue, if this fails use foam, then pump after foam, finally pray it is not dark so it it easier to patch or change tube.

Recent Topics