Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Slime puncture prevention. Tyre changes on the road.  (Read 551 times)

Offline Jedventure rider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xca
Re: Slime puncture prevention. Tyre changes on the road.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 08:18:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by tewe [+]
Might be that I got entirely wrong impression of your post but just in case you have not actually changed the tire with these tools earlier I would strongly recommend to do so at home. At the roadside when there's good chances for darkness, rain, mud and many other aspects being worse than in your garage it might be a bit too much to start to practice then. Also consider how you plan to inflate the new tires. I would also recommend bike puncture repair kit as the cost and additional weight is minimal and it offers you the chance to fix the inner tube in case you break it during the replacement.

tewe

This is the problem mate. Ive never changed a tyre! But I do a lot of riding abroad - so far Ive never had a flat. In Greece I have friends who could help out if I had a blowout, but in the mountains of northern Albania and Kosovo its a different ball game hence the original question re slime or a similar product. Ideally I would like to be able to change the tubes but I am thinking it might not work out.
I think Ill carry levers and tubes anyways. Might also put the slime in too. I was concerned it might fek up the tyres. Cant find many much info on folk who have used it. If it isnt going to do any harm I guess I might as well use it.
Instagram: jedventure_rider

Offline Jedventure rider

• Tiger Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 08:21:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by lanerider [+]
i used slime on all my dirt bikes it saved a lot of hassle and worked a treat

Thanks for your input. Does it have any detrimental effects in anyway to tyres and pressure etc?

Offline Jedventure rider

• Tiger Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 08:25:52 PM »
I think going forward I am going to convert my tyres to tubeless. So much easier to fix a flat on the road.

Offline DJ Steve

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger XRT 17
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 10:12:44 PM »
On a slight tangent :084:, I've done a bit of mountain biking with Neilson activity holidays in Greece.All their hire bikes have slime or similar . The bike guys seem to prefer this to fixing punctures.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 12:25:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jedventure rider [+]
This is the problem mate. Ive never changed a tyre!

If that is the case then don't even bother unless you intend to spend your next few weekends doing nothing but taking the wheel off your bike and swapping tubes and putting the wheels back. There is no way a first timer will successfully replace a modern tubed tyre beside the road without assistance.
The countries that you are talking about riding in are full of vehicles with tubed tyres and people who regularly repair them. There may not be formal roadside assistance but I bet that if you do have an issue you will have no problems at all getting help from one or several locals very quickly.In these places you will get way more help from locals than you would in many parts of western Europe.

Online tewe

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 08:16:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
If that is the case then don't even bother unless you intend to spend your next few weekends doing nothing but taking the wheel off your bike and swapping tubes and putting the wheels back. There is no way a first timer will successfully replace a modern tubed tyre beside the road without assistance.
The countries that you are talking about riding in are full of vehicles with tubed tyres and people who regularly repair them. There may not be formal roadside assistance but I bet that if you do have an issue you will have no problems at all getting help from one or several locals very quickly.In these places you will get way more help from locals than you would in many parts of western Europe.

I second this one. Distances in those areas are short, plenty of local tire shops in the villages etc. You will find a way to get it fixed, especially if you carry own tubes with you for replacement. When you go to 'real' remote areas then you would consider of carrying all those tools needed for own work.

tewe

Offline Jedventure rider

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 09:03:17 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I appreciate all your contributions and advice.

Ive always found people to be helpful, especially to a lone rider. Ill trust things to pan out for the best. Two short weeks then Im off. Starting to get excited now!

Have a great day all. Stay upright. 

Jed.

Online troop

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2016 800 XCXR
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
I've been using Ride-On tire sealant in all my bikes for years. Can't vouch that it works for punctures, but multiple media reviews show it to be effective. It is not a sloppy mess come tire change time, as it pools nicely in the tread area of the inner tire.
https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tire-types/motorcycle-formula

Offline Kevh

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xc
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 10:09:50 PM »
I have used some tyre slime in tubes before but I'm not really a fan of it I found it bunged the valves up so I couldn't get a proper tyre pressure gauge to work (take spare valves if you do use it) also if you do have to stick a patch on the tube it's not likely to stick as the slime will interact with the glue.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch