Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Slime puncture prevention. Tyre changes on the road.  (Read 550 times)

Offline Jedventure rider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xca
Slime puncture prevention. Tyre changes on the road.
« on: April 15, 2019, 06:05:56 AM »
Anyone ever used Slime or another puncture prevention system? I will be riding in some remote areas in a few weeks and I do not have tyre levers to replace innertubes at the roadside.

What are peoples thoughts on these kinds of products and has anyone done a roadside innertube replacement. I have considered buying motion pro tyre levers, which are expensive, but supposed to be good kit, but my local bike shop has repeatedly told me I will not be able to break the bead.

Thanks in advance

Jed

Instagram: jedventure_rider

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Slime puncture prevention. Tyre changes on the road.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:41:43 AM »
If you're going to be in remote areas you need the means to support yourself and that means tyre levers (among other things)
You can't rely on tyre sealants

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 06:42:59 AM »
I've never been a fan of Slime and its competitors and never seen any of them work first hand but I have seen reports from people our claim that it has worked for them so I guess it is a case of taking chances and weighing up risk versus reward.

One option would be to convert the tyres to tubeless which means you can carry plugs for most punctures.

If you are travelling with another bike you can use the side stand of the bike with no puncture to break the bead on a tyre. Put the punctured wheel flat on the ground and put the sidestand foot on the tyre then let the weight of the bike push the stand down and break the bead (use a human on the bike for more weight is required.

Offline Jedventure rider

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies fellas. Im travelling solo. Ive got all the other kit I should require in case of ...

Im going to purchase some tyre levers and possibly the motion pro bead breaker. At least then Ill have a chance of replacing tubes if need be.

Any recommendations on levers?

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:09:12 AM »
There is a similar thread running on this subject.

Without rimlocks, a puncture can rip the valve, so repair is new tube. We carry all the necessary on trail bikes. Most punctures we get are pinch punctures caused by running low pressures for grip then hitting a sharp rock, hard. These tyre levers imo best compromise.
https://ruggedroads.co.uk/buzetti-pro-tyre-levers-00-962

For touring in remote areas on a heavy bike I'd forget all that & go with tough D/P tyres & extra h/d Michelin tubes. Pray you don't get a flat. Better still, swap the XC for XR.  :164:
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Jedventure rider

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:34:12 AM »
Nice one. Im covered by breakdown assist in most of the countries Ill be in. My concern was Northern Albania and Kosovo. My thinking is Ill be stuffed if I get a flat without a lift to a garage. Im only there a few days, so hopefully it will be right, I just wanted to be self sufficient. Think Ill get levers anyway.

Thanks for the info and link.

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 12:15:11 PM »
I use a 6ins G clamp to break the bead if i'm at home, not perfect, but it gets the job done, a bit hard/big to stash on the bike though.....

https://www.toolstation.com/g-clamp/p17212

Offline Jedventure rider

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
I use a 6ins G clamp to break the bead if i'm at home, not perfect, but it gets the job done, a bit hard/big to stash on the bike though.....

https://www.toolstation.com/g-clamp/p17212

That sounds like a good solution! Ive got panniers so the size shouldnt be an issue. Thanks.

Online tewe

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 02:08:06 PM »
Might be that I got entirely wrong impression of your post but just in case you have not actually changed the tire with these tools earlier I would strongly recommend to do so at home. At the roadside when there's good chances for darkness, rain, mud and many other aspects being worse than in your garage it might be a bit too much to start to practice then. Also consider how you plan to inflate the new tires. I would also recommend bike puncture repair kit as the cost and additional weight is minimal and it offers you the chance to fix the inner tube in case you break it during the replacement.

tewe

Offline lanerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »
i used slime on all my dirt bikes it saved a lot of hassle and worked a treat

Recent Topics

winded-staunch