Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thoughts on OEM luggage  (Read 992 times)

Offline Oldbear

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XRT
Thoughts on OEM luggage
« on: April 16, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
I was given free Triumph luggage (panniers) with my new XRT.  They are on backorder, so it will be a bit before they come I .   My question is how do you all find the OEM luggage as compared to aftermarket (Jesse or Happy Trails).   Ive had and been happy with aftermarket bags on my old GS and my Super T.   Is the OEM gear truly waterproof (road riding, heavy rain, NOT submerged😏) or do I need something else to keep my stuff dry?  Thanks!

Online Mav

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRx
Re: Thoughts on OEM luggage
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »
Triumph Panniers and top box are re-badged Givi. As with Givi, good quality with good seals.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »
Depends which kind you have, I've just ordered a new XRx and that comes with the aloominumb Expedition panniers, these are good as they're both the same decent size and more robustly mounted, however the sales guy has already warned me that they are not 100% waterproof, so you should get waterproof liners if you're venturing North of Kentucky, or over the Appalachians  :016:

The plastic ones are very waterproof, due to the double skin construction with fully compressed seal, however the RH side one is next to useless for storage due to the huge cut-out for the exhaust, you'd be better off with the Givi Trekker panniers.
Now available in "Batman"

Offline 3bangin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800xca
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »
We have two tigers with the expedition bags and still no leaks.
We rain ride regularly.
Live life! Live long and ride like hell!

Online petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »
In 2 years with some very heavy rain I've never had a leak in my Expedition boxes. The only negative I have is their weight..

Offline JamesEaton

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »
I an also vouch for the Expedition Panniers. As others have said, they are Triumph-stamped Givi Trekker Outback boxes. The lids and case tops have rubber on them which makes a waterproof seal when closed and locked.
It is worth getting inner bags though as it makes transporting your luggage easier. Especially if you been riding through mud and rain and have to stop at a hotel or something. You don't have to worry about lugging a dirty pannier box in with you.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by petesear [+]
The only negative I have is their weight..

:0461: . solid and (up to now) watertight. I agree on using inner bags, not just for convenience but also as the aluminium does create black smears that can mark your contents.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Matchbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XRT
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 06:18:20 PM »
I have Givi Trekkers - plastic and aluminium ones - they are not watertight in my experience.

Offline lucfcb

• Tiger Member
  • Luc fan of FCB ;-)
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 07:50:10 PM »
Rebranded Givi Trekker (Tiger explorer) here. Belgian weather ... no leaks  :152:
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window ...

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 08:35:15 PM »
SW Motech trax Adventure 45/37L. Never had a drop of water in them. The Triumph boxes are a tad small for camping kit.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch