Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018-19 led headlights swap XCX/XCA  (Read 5827 times)

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: 2018-19 led headlights swap XCX/XCA
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 09:43:58 AM »
I've replaced the stock halogen's with LED "bulbs" and for running lights have the Barkbuster LED's mounted on the barkbuster handguards.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline epy123

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 10:52:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
Was that the 2018 XCX workshop manual that you downloaded ?
If so, would appreciate any info on how to get it.
Thanks.

I downloaded from tritun, i founded the info in this forum.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24598.msg273847.html#msg273847

Offline epy123

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
Why not replace the stock lamp with an LED lamp?

Chico

I did, i have buyed led bulbs afterall, but its not the proper way, the mirrors of headlight mount isnt design for led bulbs, its much better have a led headlight that was designed for that from beiginning. But thats so dificult.

in my reseach i founded 2 solutions:

1 replace ECM or Motorbike CPU, the headlight is direct conect to ECM, not by relay like halogen headlight. So expensive this option

2 use the halogen relays and circuits and put resistor to conect de headlight led assembly, but i dont want to spend 350 to test this option. If someone with XCA or XRT model could tell me what voltage use this headlight or show me how it works...will be great, but its complicated i think.

in short, enjoy the mtorbike as its made  :008:

pd sorry for my bad bad english

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 05:33:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
I've replaced the stock halogen's with LED "bulbs" and for running lights have the Barkbuster LED's mounted on the barkbuster handguards.
As I pointed out in this thread https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,26096.msg286633/topicseen.html#new you may have lost your type approval and your bike is no longer road legal. I am 100% sure this would be the case over here in Germany and German authorities say this is due to european law which still applies in the UK. In most cases the European stuff does not work directly but the member states "transform" that in national law. So unless the UK revises the national law in case it leaves the EU you're still f...ed
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 07:14:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
As I pointed out in this thread https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,26096.msg286633/topicseen.html#new you may have lost your type approval and your bike is no longer road legal. I am 100% sure this would be the case over here in Germany and German authorities say this is due to european law which still applies in the UK. In most cases the European stuff does not work directly but the member states "transform" that in national law. So unless the UK revises the national law in case it leaves the EU you're still f...ed
Not in the UK. Haven't been for 23 years.  I'm in Ireland, hence the user name, Kildare being the county and me being male.  You would have known if you had bothered to look at the member map or a cursory Google search.  Don't give a stuff and neither do the gardai (Irish police), unless they are miss aligned, which mine are not, so I'm not f**ked as you say.  :300:
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 08:39:15 PM »
Well as far as I know Ireland is a part of the EU no plans of leaving. If you are fine in violating the law up to you I am neither a police officer or with the DPP. Over here with those bulbs they will take your bike with the next MOT.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 08:53:26 PM »
It appears that the "old" world governments have too many rules, and I thought the "new" world governments were clogged with minutia. I'll have to re-calibrate my thinking on this subject. :125: :189:

Chico

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 09:16:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
It appears that the "old" world governments have too many rules, and I thought the "new" world governments were clogged with minutia. I'll have to re-calibrate my thinking on this subject. :125: :189:

Chico

Spot on mate, we are completely overruled at this side of the the great pond

Offline Ally73

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 02:59:43 AM »
Did you manage to get any info from the Triumph workshop on how it can be done?

Thanks

*Originally Posted by epy123 [+]
I downloaded XCX and XCA workshop manual, the assembly are the same between 2 models, but obviously electric wiring isnt. Halogen ligth are conected by relays, and led light aparently are conected directly to instrument panel, maybe are controled by ECM. I will ask in triumph worshop, maybe they will help me. I dont know if a i conect new led headlight like XCA model, maybe need a software update or something.

Offline Ally73

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 06:53:01 PM »
I downloaded both the XCA and XCX service manual from tritun.net. I analysed the line diagrams for the lighting wiring of both XCA and XCX.

The connectors are of course different between the XCX and XCA headlight assembly but when I looked at the wiring diagram of the LED headlight assembly has basically 5 pins in use. 
1 pin is for ground. 1 pin seems to be from the ignition (hence can tap on same wire of XCX ignition). 1 pin is from the fuse box (but need to change fuse to 10A instead of the 15A used on the XCX). And 2 pins labeled U and R (blue and red wires) which from the diagram connects to the instrument connector pin 24 and 25.

When I looked at the full color circuit diagram I found that wires from pin 24 and 25 of the instrument connector also goes back to pin A34 and A33 of the Engine Control Module. And A34 and A33 also connects to the diagnostic connector and ABS modulator and this is exactly the same on the XCX full color circuit diagram. Based on this and of course comparing the two ECM circuit diagram, it seems to be that there is no difference in the ECM.

So by right one can tap from the same wires (pin 24 and 25) from the an XCX instrument connector and connect it with the 2 pins on the LED headlight. So essentially based on the LED wiring diagram tapping from existing cables seem sufficient and there is no difference in the Engine Control Module as they are the same. (Someone please prove me wrong if otherwise, but based on what I analysed from the service manual Engine Management Circuit Diagram, the pins are exactly the same).

What is left for me to try to find out is what kind of voltage or signal is being driven on those 2 pins. And of course one would still need to get the right type of connector to the LED headlight assembly and tap the wires from what I have already mentioned above.

I also need to further check how does the high beam low beam work on the XCA LED headlights as from the wiring diagram, I could not see how the high beam low beam is triggered based on the 5 pins mentioned about.

If anyone has more information about the XCA LED operation, do let me know, if not I'll probably drop by the Triumph dealer to see how the switches work as the XCX diagram clearly shows a high beam low beam relay in use, but the XCA diagram doesn't seem to show any.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:03:09 PM by Ally73 »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch