Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Off road on an XRX  (Read 516 times)

Offline me0u01c1

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015 800 XRX
Off road on an XRX
« on: April 20, 2019, 03:22:42 PM »
How capable is an XRX off tarmac on road tires (scorpions)? There is a couple of steep metalled green lanes by me that I can easily deal with on my DT125 on knackered knobblies but any ideas on the tiger? I'd like to have a go on it but I don't fancy picking it up if I drop it nor try to push it up the hill if the tyres won't grip. They're not muddy, certainly not at the moment, just rough.

I know I could use the 125, but it's about as reliable as something very unreliable and don't fancy spending an hour getting the bugger to start when I only want to have a short blast.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Off road on an XRX
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »
Without seeing the actual hill and without anybody knowing your riding ability do you expect a sensible answer?
Personally I would say if the track was metaled it would probably be something you could drive up in a car if it was wide enough so a XRX would fly up it.

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 12:30:05 AM »
What does "metaled" mean? Not familiar with that term.. I have ridden the roadie version up some grades that I hope to never repeat.

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 12:50:01 AM »
If you have to go onto a forum to decide whether to go up a track....well.....
Anyway, suggest you take a capable mate and give it a try.
The only real way to know. Just do it.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 01:34:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by UncleGary [+]
What does "metaled" mean?

In this part of the world at least it means that crushed rock has been spread on the dirt surface and (usually) rolled with a roller so you are on a surface of road "metal" rather than dirt. It is a step between pure dirt and proper seal and would generally only be on roads that a standard car would be able to drive on. I have no idea why the crushed rock is called metal.

Online davamb

• Tiger Master
  • Today will be difficult, but tomorrow- good riding
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 01:45:33 AM »
I seem to recall that it was a by-product of metal smelting processes: crushed slag in other words.
Cheers,
Dave

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 01:57:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by davamb [+]
I seem to recall that it was a by-product of metal smelting processes: crushed slag in other words.

That makes sense although these days particularly on forest roads they seem to be using a lot of recycled shredded asphalt. I guess that saves having to dump it into a big hole somewhere.

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 06:45:26 AM »
Applying gravel, or "metalling", has had two distinct usages in road surfacing. The term road metal refers to the broken stone or cinders used in the construction or repair of roads or railways, and is derived from the Latin metallum, which means both "mine" and "quarry". The term originally referred to the process of creating a gravel roadway. "Road metal" later became the name of stone chippings mixed with tar to form the road surfacing material tarmac. A road of such material is called a "metalled road" in Britain, a "paved road" in Canada and the US, or a "sealed road" in parts of Canada, Australia and New Zealandsee
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 08:21:09 AM »
 :028:

Every day is a school day.

:031:

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 08:46:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
is derived from the Latin metallum, which means both "mine" and "quarry"

Please don't remind me of the two years I was forced to study Latin at school.  Infelix Jan :023:
I'm pretty sure that in the OPs case he is talking about a dirt road or track that has simply had stone chips applied and possibly rolled in. If it has anything in the way of asphalt or tar included in the surface and he is asking about the Tigers ability to handle it then I think it's time to reconsider things.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:47:59 AM by K1W1 »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch