Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Argyll and Bute  (Read 667 times)

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
Argyll and Bute
« on: April 22, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »
Hi all am off to the Highlands again after the Megameet. Am staying there 5 nights to ride around. Looking for some tips on nice places to go. Thanks in advance, Mark.

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
Re: Argyll and Bute
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 02:29:29 PM »
Have a look on the Advscotland forum for lots of info.

Offline characticus

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 XRx
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 10:15:33 PM »
Mark,

How far North do you plan to go? Are you touring Highlands or staying 5 days in Argyll? Argyll and Bute is well worth exploring but it doesn't go much further North than Oban. Assuming you arrive towards Glasgow via the A74 I'd suggest;

A82 along Loch Lomondside to Tarbet
A83 Inveraray (traffic will thin out considerably after Inveraray)- Loch Gilphead - Tarbert - Campbeltown 
From Campbeltown head back North along the B842 to Tarbert (great views across to Arran). Apparently this was the road to Paul McCartney's farm and the inspiration for "The Long and Winding Road."
If weather good just before Tarbert turn left onto B8042 via Kilberry for great views across to Isla and Jura
Then head North on A816 towards Oban
Before you get to Oban take a detour out along the B844 to Ellenabeich

That should take care of day 1 ...

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:25:04 PM by characticus »

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »
I'd say come back down the A82 on an evening when it's quiet - it's always so busy, but going up get a ferry to Dunoon, explore from there, loads of amazing roads in that bit to play on, often very quiet when I've been. There's something nice about putting your bike on a ferry. Makes it feel like a journey.

Just another opinion. There's so much to go at you can't really go wrong.

Edit - this could be you gurning merrily. Last year I was on the bonnie and we did a huge 1 day loop out that way from a friend's near Barrhead, out to Dunoon, then keeping west all the way to Glenuig (fabulous place) and along to my friend's house near Ft Bill for a cuppa, then south down the A82 at about 8pm, back just as the chippy closed at 11pm - can't wait to do it all again. 5 days is time enough to do loads more.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:33:12 PM by StretchToo »

Offline kbar800

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 800 Road
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 07:45:05 PM »

Don't buy your  ticket on the Western ferry -  they love to rob the naive English tourists - and they  love it !  :008:

Buy in the shops first - Paul's  food  & wine on the  Gourock side or loads of places on the Dunoon side !

Never lose your  Childhood enthusiasm

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »
Forgot to mention - also took the Corran Ferry to keep out west. You'll have time to go to the Ardnamurchan Point.

Offline NeoHurricane

• Tiger Member
  • Live, Love & Respect
  • Bike: '18 Tiger 800XRT
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 06:58:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by kbar800 [+]
Don't buy your  ticket on the Western ferry -  they love to rob the naive English tourists - and they  love it !  :008:

Buy in the shops first - Paul's  food  & wine on the  Gourock side or loads of places on the Dunoon side !

I agree to buy the ticket in the shops as they are cheaper but I had one experience where we didn't but the guy only charged me (an Englishman) for a passenger ticket and "forgot" my bike :-)

My suggestion for routes is to also check motorcyclescotland.com as they have loads of good ones you can check out and even download for your satnav.  Enjoy my most favourite part of the UK!

Offline Cumbria_Paul

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCX, ER6F
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 11:21:02 AM »
I just did 1200 miles round Scotland over Easter including the NC500, staying in various establishments, some considerably better than others! If you venture further North to Oban which I would recommend wholeheartedly this was the best place I stayed in the whole trip:
https://www.dunheanish.com/

The guy who runs its cant do enough for you, even helped me manoeuvre my bike out of the tricky little "car park". The views from the terrace are awesome and its a 5 minute walk down to the harbour.

Safe trip!
Mid life crisis? Nah just the usual lifelong one :)

Offline Elmer J Fudd

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »
Argyle and Bute? terrible place, always wet and windy or covered with midges.....stay away you know it makes sense!

Well, it can be wet and it can be covered with midges, but it is my summer playground as I stay in the North of Ayrshire.

Some biker meeting up points are Largs, Rest and be Thankful burger van, Inveraray, Tyndrum etc.

Depends on where you are coming from, but one of my ways of getting out west quick is Western ferry, over the hill(s) to Portavadie (stopping at Tighnabruaich) and ferry to Tarbert. From there head North or South. If heading North stop in at  / detour to Crinan.

Always bikes at Inveraray, but food is expensive, same for Tyndrum.

Be aware that the speed traps are now up and running (not that anyone speeds when the scenery is so nice)
Some favourites are:
Laybys along Loch Lomond, West edge of Tarbet (Loch Lomand) in the bus shelter, West of Arrochar on the straight, East of Cairndow on the long straight toward the Rest and be Thankful. Around Loch Fyne. Though they can pop up almost anywhere they tend to stick to the faster A Roads.

I also like to play around the Trossachs, which you could try on the way up or down. There are a few nice roads including the Dukes Pass - Aberfoyle to Callander scenic route (good training for the Alps) Then the A85 North gets you to Crainlarich, but has the odd speed trap too, particularly at Strathyre. Lots of detours here too,
including loops of Loch Earn and Tay. Falls of Dochart in Killin.

As for your Sat-Nav, switch it off and have fun, only switch it back on when you are completely lost...

Have fun.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch