Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor experience attempting to take out Triumph insurance  (Read 772 times)

Offline balham

• Tiger Member
Poor experience attempting to take out Triumph insurance
« on: April 24, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
Today I tried to get an online quote from Triumph insurance but eventually gave up - here's my experience:

I filled out the online form but when it presented me with the quote, there were a number of errors in the summary of facts I had given:

- It changed my marital status
- I asked for pillion cover but this was not acknowledged
- I gave details of two security devices but it instead listed "not available"
- An incorrect purchase date was given (today's date) - I had specified "not purchased yet".
- Perhaps minor, but it gave 9years instead of 9+ years for NCD

As I was progressing with the form-filling, I received a text saying I had not completed the form. Irritating!

I then reluctantly decided to phone them to correct the data and the phone system asked for a key-press response to a question about data privacy and it would not accept my response, instead repeating the question. After three times, it cut the call. I tried phoning again and the same happened. I then gave up and am looking elsewhere. By the way, I've used my phone with plenty of other key-response systems and had no problem.

What a complete waste of time.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Poor experience attempting to take out Triumph insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 02:49:31 PM »
Based on my quick experience of Triumph Insurance you aren't missing anything.
I tried them 2013 for my new Street Triple, 20yrs with Carole Nash, no claims, 54yrs old . 600.  :005:
At the time stayed with Carole Nash at about half that but later, after 1st ever claim, changed to Bennetts who were half what CN wanted for renewal and ironically same insurer, Red Star Equity. Currently with Bennetts and insured with Aviva.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 03:39:48 PM »
Insurance is an odd game.
There are relatively few actual insurers, lots of brokers, but few insurers.
Ive yet to find any insurer tht gives credit for post test rider training, whether thats IAM,. ROSPA, ERS or whatever. usually the ones that make a song and dance about such things are often the ones who are the most expensive.

I have recently renewed my insurance, was with RAC (Broker). Bennets were for me the cheapest, but Carole Nash include breakdown recovery. Adding breakdown recovery to the Bennets quote made the two comparable.
CN placed my insurance with Aviva.

The lesson as ever is you need to shop around, never accept the renewal quote at face value. At the very least benchmark against others.
What may be a cheap quote from broker X for rider Y may not be the cheapest quote for you on your bike. do your homework, don't let the insurance industry profit from laziness.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:42:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
Ive yet to find any insurer tht gives credit for post test rider training, whether thats IAM,. ROSPA, ERS or whatever. ..

Similarly I found that they make a deal about my bike being ungaraged but when I looked into purchasing an insurance approved metal storage shed the reduction in premium was so small it would have taken 15yrs to recover the cost of the shed alone .. I didn't bother, may not even be able to ride that long, we never know what may change over the years.  :027:

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline balham

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 05:00:50 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'm homing in on either Carole Nash or Bennetts. Interestingly, when getting a CN quote via their web-site, they include breakdown recovery in the quote (you don't seem to be able to uninclude it) whereas getting comparison quotes from moneysupermarket provides a lower CN quote which doesn't include breakdown insurance (though you can add it). I don't need this as I have a combined car and bike breakdown policy.

All my quotes are low though as I have moved from London where the bike was parked on the road to Devon where it is garaged.

Just by background, a couple of years ago I sold my Tiger 800 and bought a Honda NC750DCT - the one with the auto gear change. Having hit pensioner age I thought this might be a good idea.  I was so wrong. The other week I rectified my mistake and traded the Honda in for a new XRX - picking it up next week. I test rode it and loved it. I've also got the great Devon roads to use it on. I feel like a child waiting for a new toy.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 05:25:58 PM »
I was with CN from 1994-2014, well before the use of internet insurance and though the best for me at the time (and no easy comparison system) it did include unwanted inclusive parts like UK and European breakdown cover and cover to ride any bike. Now for half the premium I have no breakdown cover included, but my RAC car/any vehicle cover will cover me and the bike and I would never wish to ride (and risk) someone else's pride and joy (though if a death situation called for it, to get help, insurance would be back of my mind) so covered for my bike only is fine.

Offline Stelyn

• Tiger Master
  • 2018 XRx
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 06:10:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
Insurance is an odd game.
There are relatively few actual insurers, lots of brokers, but few insurers.
Ive yet to find any insurer tht gives credit for post test rider training, whether thats IAM,. ROSPA, ERS or whatever.

Try Cornmarket Insurance Services for a quote ( part of the  I.A.M )  they do require your IAM membership details ect,  contact number is 028 9033 2111   they will also pricematch from the various compare sites. just email them the quotes.  -  Worth a look   :028:
`Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with  its head out of the car window '

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »
I changed from Bennetts to Triumph for the Explorer and have now transferred it to the new T800, I didn't have any problems filling out the forms, or taking out a policy in general, all completed online, I have had policies with several other companies who have got the details wrong in one way, or another, usually ending up with a phone call to confirm/ correct.

Triumph Insurance is nothing to do with Triumph Motorcycles, it's a well known Agent called Adrian Flux, my policy is through Markerstudy, a budget insurance company, Adrian Flux are a lot better to deal with than they used to be, they had a very bad reputation a few years ago especially in the car insurance market, Flux Rescue is very good for bikes, but it possibly depends which sub-contractor turns up, I got a very good properly adapted large van to collect my Explorer when it blew its top.

Bennetts are Ok, but they have too many rules and little flexibility, Carol Nash are Ok until there's a problem, then they're a waste of time, especially the legal department.

It's all a con and you have to read the small print to find out who's hiding behind the brand name, for example, probably 80% of car insurance companies, including high street shops, building societies and banks are actual a cartel known as BISL, if it's on a comparison website, it'll be BISL, regardless of who they say they are (possible exceptions AA & RAC) Direct Line are one of the few truly independent companies.

All companies offer a 10-40% discount in the first year and then bump the price up, check what your paying and never accept a renewal without a strop, or a flounce first  :001:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline balham

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »
That's interesting about the cartels - maybe that's why online form-filling seems familiar across different brands.

I've eventually gone with Bennetts but that wasn't without incident (linking from moneysupermarket comparison site) - when I received the schedule and statement of facts there were also mistakes which I have had to correct with them (two phone calls and an e-mail in total). I am conscious that it is important to get these mistakes corrected otherwise they could possibly be used to reject a claim. Dealing with one of the operators was irritating as they seemed to imply that the mistakes were my mine.

Whilst I am in "grumpy old man" mode, another irritation is that policies often seem to come with "auto renewal" - there seems to be no way of disabling this when form-filling and you have to contact them to get this turned off. I have a suspicion that some companies might provide a higher quote for auto-renewal policies. 

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 03:19:43 PM »
I don'th think auto renewel is down to the Insurance industry. I think its a requirement from government.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch