Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sat Navs and country lanes  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Sat Navs and country lanes
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 08:28:23 PM »
Council have erected several signs round about us that say "Do not use Sat-Navs in this area".
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 08:52:12 PM »
I can understand that knowing your area a little.

I'm in North Devon at the moment, with swmbo and the car, and if I followed my sat nav religiously, I'd never get anywhere in any kind of time frame.

Fun though sometimes.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 06:25:01 AM »
Mine (Tomtom) gets used 5 days a week at work (all day, everyday, all over the UK) it does absolutely fine when a dash of common sense is added.
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 06:59:08 AM »
Ha, B roads in England are usually good, in Wales they can be single trackers with grass or gravel in middle with 8ft high hedges on each side & bendier than any bendy thing.
A bunch of us chose on sat-nav this B road route from the Offa's Dyke rally to the Steelhorse caff on Saturday, I was a bleddy nervous wreck by time we got to the A road at Pontilas, expecting a crazy local or tractor to come flying round those blind bends for 11 miles while glued to a 18" strip between gravel & hedge. At the start, a mile or so after leaving Hay-on-Wye we passed a bunch of Welsh riders trying to turn back, they had more sense. In the Peak District this would be an unclassified road, nowt better than a farm track. B road my ass.
https://goo.gl/maps/AbwfH6CaNEN1bSWd8

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 08:40:19 AM »
If the Tom Tom had IQ routing, turn it off, tries to take you down the back roads etc just to save a few hundred yards travelling.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Council have erected several signs round about us that say "Do not use Sat-Navs in this area".

And others saying "You'll never leave"  :008:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 03:37:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
If the Tom Tom had IQ routing, turn it off, tries to take you down the back roads etc just to save a few hundred yards travelling.

A lot does depend on the *settings used to plot the route AND on the GPS itself.
In my books its a foolish person who blindly relies on a satnag to go everywhere.
yes the local authorities should tell mapping companies of changes, but ultimately its the person behind the handlebars who makes that final decision. dont transfer blame from the operator to the machine...

I regularly fall out with my GPS, either through enthusiasm meaning I missed a turning, or I just like the look of that road that is sort of going in the direction I want to. I take a vicarious pleasure in that tone of disappointemnt in the GPS 'recalculating'.

*To be fair I have yet to find the setting for the fastest, twisties roads with little traffic and no police on my GPS, but I live in hope.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 05:04:08 PM »
Don't forget, the average Tiger owner has been around a long time so will have used maps for maybe 30 years before sat-navs became affordable to the masses, most touring riders carry the latest maps as I do & set the sat-nav to follow the chosen route on the map. A lot safer than looking at a map or route sheet on our tanks. I toured Europe by map for many years before I succumbed 10 years ago, wouldn't be without now.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 10:10:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
satnag

Deliberate, or an inspired typo?
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Deliberate, or an inspired typo?
very, very deliberate  :028:

like at least one other member of this forum I actually call MY bike gps 'Gladys', after the Terry Pratchett character  :008:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch