Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Off road bike along XCx  (Read 895 times)

Offline buddy13

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
Re: Off road bike along XCx
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 04:19:49 PM »
Thanks for all valid replies  :152:

I'm 75kg, 5'8 feet and sadly enpugh my budget is far from unlimited...I'd like to keep it to 2-3K Euros but will consider slightly more.

I dont need anything too extreme such as trials or hard enduro. A light, small, 20-30hp bike with 10 inches of suspension travel shall be good enough. However, I need to consider some practicalities too...

I will have to get rid of my sccoot (space and running costs restrictions mainly). I appreciate it will never be as practical. However, it needs to take on the 10-20 mile daily work commute in congested traffic on tarmac roads and be able to carry my gym or shopping bag.

A friend reccomended I look at the CRF 250 Rally. It seems like a very practical bike, shame about the price. How is it in the dirt you think?

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »
You may want to look at a Kawi KL250 Super Sherpa (if you can find one) or, the bit more modern, KLX250.
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline tripletour

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: zx6r rd250 T800
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »
I have a CRF250L not the rally version.

I bought it for green lane rides and think it is very good for your intended use. It is very soft on power and suspension which I find is great for an off road novice. I also use my Honda for my winter bike on the roads and with the right tyres its great. I even took it to the Isle of Man this year which was brilliant as its agile and lightweight for all the dodgy parking areas you end up in. Whilst it can never be called fast, It is a competent commuter and frugal although the petrol tank is small so frequent fuel stops are required.

I think it is a great complement to my Tiger which I use for touring and speed work.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by buddy13 [+]
I'm 75kg, 5'8 feet and sadly enpugh my budget is far from unlimited...I'd like to keep it to 2-3K Euros but will consider slightly more.

I dont need anything too extreme such as trials or hard enduro. A light, small, 20-30hp bike with 10 inches of suspension travel shall be good enough. However, I need to consider some practicalities too...

However, it needs to take on the 10-20 mile daily work commute in congested traffic on tarmac roads and be able to carry my gym or shopping bag.

A friend reccomended I look at the CRF 250 Rally. It seems like a very practical bike, shame about the price. How is it in the dirt you think?

Trail riding on & off for the past 30'odd years. I like to be able to get a foot & a toe down when I stop. The Rally imo too tall & heavy, CRF250L less so but limited.
Old school traillies are ok, eg Serow, TTR250, XR250R is a brill bike but kickstart & tall. Two strokes are lighter & much more fun off-road eg KDX200, 37bhp 109kg.

Make a list, then whittle it down with; power, weight, seat height, ground clearance, suspension travel. Go sit on them all & get a ride if you can. Check TRF website to see what the boys rate. https://www.trf.org.uk/

Got the funds & legs, get a WR250F or KTM Freeride 250/350 & keep the commuter. Ha  :152: Good luck with it.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch