Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changed Starter, Now Very High Idle  (Read 401 times)

Offline frankh

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Changed Starter, Now Very High Idle
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:17:47 AM »
I have a 2011 Tiger 800 with about 25k miles. I changed the starter and after putting back together the bike now idles around 4000 rpm on start-up. There are no warning lights coming on. It will fluctuate some but stays right around 4000. I did check the TPS voltage and it is showing 0.66 volts at idle, which is a little higher than spec but I wouldn't think would make idle act in this manner. Any ideas what I could have done wrong?

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
Re: Changed Starter, Now Very High Idle
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 01:29:56 PM »
Make sure your idle stepper motor attached to the throttle bodies is connected and working properly. It may have been disturbed when you removed and replaced the throttle bodies. Check connectors, mechanical adjustment and operation. (Its the 'fax machine' sound you hear after the ignition is switched off. It resets then.)
Also check to make sure all of the sensor connectors are back together correctly. Intake air temp, MAP sensor and a few others would have been disconnected to get to the starter motor.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:33:08 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline frankh

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 02:46:50 AM »
Turns out when I tightened throttle body clamps the throttle bodies were forced up out of position creating gap were air could get in. Thanks

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 10:58:51 PM »
Good to hear you fixed it.
Easy mistake to do, I've done it myself. You really have to push all three  down hard, but evenly, to get the throttle bodies to seat. I found that applying a very thin coat of silicon lubricant to the inlets makes the re-assembly easier.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 11:00:48 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Recent Topics