Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Newbie to biking  (Read 358 times)

Offline Bigjase

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Waiting to buy
Newbie to biking
« on: May 15, 2019, 06:05:32 PM »
Hi all,
         My name is Jason I've been looking at getting my first bike. I'm 50 years old and going for DAS course. Never had a bike, but have had a go a few times on mates bikes and got on with it fine.

Now I like off road bikes the naked look and a motocross, I have come across a tiger 800 on 2011 damaged lightly. At the moment it at 1500,im will to go to 2000. Would you say that was a good price to pay or worth paying a little more.  I very capable of fixing up a motorbike and don't mind getting my hand dirty I've looked into buying new and I've seen some lovely looking bikes new and second hand. I'm going to get more for my money second hand, and can have more than one bike. List of bikes I like are

Triumph Triple R and tiger
Ktm duke adventure R and the enduro
Ducati scrambler and the monster
I also like the harley look retro style.

I like to get hold of a 2 stroke as well to do up, of road trials/moto
Always like the sound of a 2 stroke.

Any advice and tips will be much appreciated, just can't wait to get going. This is something that I've just in the last couple of months got the bug  don't know why but alway fancied doing the long way round sort of trip and explore where a car can't go.
Cheers Jason aka bigjase.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:07:17 PM by Bigjase »

Offline Jamesl

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Newbie to biking
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 07:53:17 AM »
Hi Jason, welcome to the forum.

Always tough to tell whether a bike is worth the price - so much of it comes down to condition. 1,500 seems fairly low so I would be wondering just how many miles/badly damaged the bike is. Don't forget if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! There are plenty to choose from, so make sure you find the right one for you.

My Tiger is my first road bike and I love it, although I don't ride it as much as I'd like. I rode enduro first, and would definitely recommend it. It's great fun and also a good way to learn to ride avoiding dangerous roads/drivers/keeping it cheap if you break something.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 08:23:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jamesl [+]
I rode enduro first, and would definitely recommend it. It's great fun and also a good way to learn to ride avoiding dangerous roads/drivers/keeping it cheap if you break something.

:0461: Ayup Jason,  :401:.
Give a thought to a traillie bike for a year to gain experience off tarmac, you'll learn far more than you ever will on the road. Just imo of course.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 08:59:42 AM »
Get your DAS out of the way
If y'can work out what is it that attracts you to riding.
What's the trigger point for you to start riding at 50
Where do you want to ride
..area, type of road
Who do you want to ride with, if at all
Make sure the reality of riding matches your expectations

Assuming you can identify that then...
Play the game with the dealers, try out numerous bikes from different makes you front have to buy from them..

Riding with mates can be a great way to get on the road. I don't  want to piss on your parade but bear in mind riding with mates may mean you are learning their bad habits. You may also feel pressure to keep up with them beyond where your skills are at, or worse you may think having passed your DAS you are as good or better. That's not to say don't ride with mates, just stay within your comfort zone NOT theirs.

And enjoy riding. What attracts individuals to riding varies. Know what your drivers are and pick a bike that helps you meet those aims.

If you want to go off road,  small and lightweight is good.
If cost us an issue, get a good example rather than a damaged bike sold down to a price
If you want to do day tours jf say Wales then a sports tourer nsy work, but as you are 50 perhaps the wrists may fail you.

But whatever you do play the bike game in the way that works for you

Offline Bigjase

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Waiting to buy
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:18:08 AM »
Just uploaded pictures of the tiger

Offline D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 09:35:27 PM »
Radiator, shrouds and skidplate missing but no other obvious damage in the photos. How did that happen?!  Photos don't show the dashboard, is that present and working?

I think it'll cost you more than 500 just for parts to get that sorted out and then it could be a nightmare due to other, hidden damage. You'd be better off with a 2000 bike from a dealer I suggest, plenty about.

Recent Topics