Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Optimate 4 charger.  (Read 498 times)

Offline FROGY46

• Tiger Member
  • quo vadis
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
Optimate 4 charger.
« on: May 19, 2019, 08:51:35 AM »
Can I use my Optimate 4 charger with my May 2019 XRT? the user manual says " disconnect the battery and connect the charger .

the charger was perfect for my previous tiger a 2011 roadie and the 17 XRX.

thanks
Be thought of as an idiot in the eyes of an imbecile is a sensual delight of fine gourmet

Online Grumps

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
Re: Optimate 4 charger.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »
Are the latest bikes canbus or normal wiring?
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 06:22:59 PM »
Been using an Optimate 4 on my 2018 Xrx as same as my old 2013 Roadie, i.e. without disconnecting the battery, the battery doesn't know what year the bike is  :001: :001: :001:

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 06:41:13 PM »
If you hold the two crocodile clips together for 10 seconds you can change the charger from normal to canbus charging modes. I've got a 2013 roadie, so I'm not sure whether this feature is a benefit to you or not - it might be worth checking the manual.

Offline FROGY46

• Tiger Member
  • quo vadis
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »
/>
Thanks Julian I find this video on youtube sorry in french,perfect for my Optimate4
Be thought of as an idiot in the eyes of an imbecile is a sensual delight of fine gourmet

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by FROGY46 [+]
Can I use my Optimate 4 charger with my May 2019 XRT? the user manual says " disconnect the battery and connect the charger .

the charger was perfect for my previous tiger a 2011 roadie and the 17 XRX.

thanks

Hi, new owner of 2019 T800 XRT here though I've been riding numerous bikes over numerous decades.

You certainly can use your Optimate without disconnecting the battery. In fact more than that, you can use it via the accessory socket because that is live with the ignition off, just need to have a DIN plug on the Optimate lead. That's what I do so no need to attach a permanent battery flylead for this purpose (known as a "pigtail" in the US). This is the sort of DIN plug adapter needed:

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o19r-90-din-plug

Bike manuals often state that you need to disconnect the battery before charging but that's just to cover themselves in case you use the wrong type of charger and risk damaging the battery and/or the bike's electronics. Provided you use a good quality smart charger like an Optimate or CTEK these can be left connected indefinitely, months if necessary, whilst the battery is on the bike. I've done this for many years on many bikes without problem.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:30:17 PM by Phurtim »

Offline FROGY46

• Tiger Member
  • quo vadis
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 12:01:08 PM »
Thanks for your advice Phurtim and Julian.

Recent Topics