Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Indicators  (Read 2337 times)

Offline YellowTiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
LED Indicators
« on: May 22, 2019, 09:26:31 AM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have done this but I don't see any previous posts. I have just put some cheap LED indicators on my Tiger800 (2011). They said that they had resistors built in, but when I try to use them they don't run the full length of the indicator, just flash on the first LED. Is there something else I need to do, add or remove to get these working?

Cheers

Andy

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
Re: LED Indicators
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:13:35 AM »
Sounds like the new LED indicators could be faulty. Do they light up properly when connected directly to 12V?

Offline YellowTiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:21:25 AM »
Not sure, will have to check that out. Somebody else mentioned about fluking them out to see what power I'm getting to them.

Cheers

Andy

Offline YellowTiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 08:13:46 PM »
So the response I got from the vendor was:
Can you please remove your existing relay and loop live and indicator switch live together?

I have no idea what I am looking for. All my relays (that I know of) are the same model except the blue one. I cant say I am too confident to follow the instructions above....

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »
From memory the relay for the indicators on the pre 2015 Tigers is located in the space under the luggage rack immediately in front of the tail light. Post 2015 Tigers do not have a flasher relay it is controlled by the ECU in the dash console.

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 10:08:33 PM »
Essentially they are asking you to put 12v across the indicator, to see if its a problem with the bike, or the indicator itself. If you apply 12v across it, and hopefully it is clear which is positive, it should light up.
If not, its faulty.
It isn't one of those Audi style types that run across the indicator?

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 11:18:01 PM »
In your MC there is a device (flasher)  in series with your turn signal lights that switches the voltage on and off at a 1/2 second rate. It must reach a certain current level to operate. The current level is set based on the resistance of the turn signal lights. Two  normal filament bulbs (F&R) in series with it create sufficient current.
If you bike did work correctly with the filament bulbs before, then these new units do not have sufficient resistance, and the vendor is wrong. Typically a ballast resistor is used along with LED lights. .  Try that. They are available at auto shops and flea bay.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline YellowTiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 06:13:40 AM »
Thanks for the information, I will investigate further.

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 09:29:06 AM »
Yes, the flasher relay is under the rear rack. The wiring diagram suggests that if you remove the relay and jump the Orange+Green wire to the Light Green+Brown, the indicators will be directly switched by the indicator switch. If your LED indicators are the Audi style ones, this might actually work how you want.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 10:48:14 AM »
Triumph actually do an LED relay as a part.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Recent Topics