Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Indicators  (Read 2336 times)

Offline demaster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRx
Re: LED Indicators
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 02:53:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by SOHUTAA [+]
The fact of having several resistors in series increases the impedance.

Putting them in parallel, on the contrary, lowers this value !!

To switch from original turn signals to leds, I added a resistor per side with a value of about 10 Ohms, and perfect operation.

On switching from original turn signals to leds, i noticed that the auto signal cancellation is no longer working. Was it the same case for you ? Is it working fine now after you put 10 Ohms resistors ? Will you be able to post a picture of your connection ?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Khantahr

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2020, 03:56:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by SOHUTAA [+]
The fact of having several resistors in series increases the impedance.

Putting them in parallel, on the contrary, lowers this value !!

Not exactly accurate in this case. There is already a parallel impedance in the turn circuit (the other blinker). Let's just say both lights have a resistance of 10, and you add a 10ohm resistor to one. Now you have 20 ohms on that, with 10 ohms in parallel, the total impedance seen across the circuit is 6.67. now if you add a 10ohm resister to the other light, you have 20 on each side, and the total impedance is now 10.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2020, 04:18:00 PM »
I'm not an electrical engineer but am wondering why adding a resistor to each side didn't do it. Only when I added a third resistor did the signals work.

Chico

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 06:01:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
I'm not an electrical engineer but am wondering why adding a resistor to each side didn't do it. Only when I added a third resistor did the signals work.

Chico

I'm ok with basic electrics, not so much the modern electronics, but I must admit I'm more confused as to why it didn't need 4 resistors :187: .... 2 each side, as your description as I read it implied you added 2 resistors 1 side and only 1 resistor the other which I would have expected to result in 1 side working and the other not. :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 06:19:15 PM »
 Exactly Steve. I don't get it. :125: The thought I had was that the sum of the three resistors satisfied the can-bus requirements.

Chico

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »
I just looked at the wiring diagram and followed the circuits and my conclusion is that they certainly don't work in the old conventional method of 2 separate circuits (l + R) connected by the direction switch, being fed by 1 common supply. Fortunately I'm fine with the standard indicators and if I did fit LEDs they would be standard ones requiring a single resistor each side (not disco style sequential ones). :001:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 07:02:46 PM »
What's wrong with disco?
On a serious note, it has been proven that people pay much more attention to a moving object than a static one that's why the directionals flash. Adding more movement gets even more attention and that's a good thing.

Chico

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800 Xcx 2016
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2020, 09:19:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by demaster [+]
On switching from original turn signals to leds, i noticed that the auto signal cancellation is no longer working. Was it the same case for you ? Is it working fine now after you put 10 Ohms resistors ? Will you be able to post a picture of your connection ?

Thanks in advance.

The automatic operation works normally with the leds and the addition of the resistance.

For photos, it will only be possible in 9500 Kms, during the next revision !!

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800 Xcx 2016
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 09:28:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]

Chico

Simply, what is important is the value obtained.

Whether it is with one or more resistors, it is always the final value in ohms that is important.
So better only one at the right value than several !!

The goal is to obtain a value equivalent to the 2 original filament bulbs, with the 2 leds which consume less and to compensate we add an Ohmic value in parallel to compensate for this difference.

I quoted this value in a previous message. . .

Recent Topics

winded-staunch