Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 10 Weeks Sleeping  (Read 486 times)

Offline TigerBaines

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCA
10 Weeks Sleeping
« on: May 23, 2019, 09:29:09 PM »
Hi all. I need some advice regarding hibernating my Tiger.

I am a seafarer working 10 weeks on/off so the bike sits in the garage for 10 weeks at a time with no use. It's a private multi storey car park so there's no mains power supply on hand next to the bike.

What measures should be taken to put her to bed for this long and this regularly?

Ta  :031:

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
Re: 10 Weeks Sleeping
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 09:55:17 PM »
wave her good bye..
blow her some kisses as you leave...
promise undying love...
tell her you will miss her...

...and on your return welcome her with a big smile, make her feel appreciated
...make certain you bring some flowers on your return
...and make a firm date to go out as soon as possible and as often as possible

erm what I meant to say is
assuming the battery is in good condition and fully charged it will be fine.
if you are concerned then disconnect the battery (or possibly remove it and put it on a trickle charger at home) so there is no parasitic drain from the immobiliser and or any accessories you have fitted/ Like wise no scrote can plug into the accessory socket and drain power or short out the electrics.

Online UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 09:56:31 PM »
I would suggest that removing the battery and stowing it at your home on a quality battery maintainer is the best you could do.  The computer's memory of some non-essential things like time of day will be dropped but everything else should come back to life. I have done this with my bike for as long as a month and no problems.

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XCA
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »
park it up, walk away!

it'll be fine.

Online StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 10:51:36 PM »
Seconded for at least disconnecting the battery. Also if there's a chance you might not ride much on your 10 weeks off sometimes it's going to be worth having it trickle charged for that 30 weeks of non - use.
Be winter fuel is different to summer fuel these days, with more dissolved gas that can evaporate over time. - i'd buy premium fuel to hopefully avoid it varnishing and not leave it full in case you run into a starting prob and want to get fresh fuel in there.

Chances are it'll be fine if you just walk away the day you leave and get on it as soon as you get back, but there's no harm planning for the chance it gets left longer or other problems come up.

Offline petesear

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 11:03:38 PM »
I leave my old Suzuki for about 6 months of the year, I disconnected the battery and brim the tank; no room for condensation if you do that. She always fires up after a moment or two and she's a 1983 model so I'm sure the Tiger will be fine...

Offline peasy

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 06:35:27 AM »
If you park it near an area in the car park that gets light you could attached one of those solar things to keep it topped up if you dont want to remove the battery.

Online tcbandituk

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRt
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 08:05:32 AM »
As has been said above, for 10 weeks, the battery is the only thing you really need to maintain, either by disconnecting or putting on a battery tender.
With FI, the fuel shouldn't be a problem.

I recently started up my wife's Bonnie after nearly a year without use (MOT time), all I'd done was put it on an Optimate and it started first time and is fine.
2015 Bonneville Speedchurch
2018 Speed Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt

TC Drag Bike

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 08:21:48 AM »
What healdam said
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 08:23:54 AM »
I've just pulled the wife's bike out of the plastic bag it's been living in for the last 2.5 years, connected a fresh battery and hit the starter, it fired up instantly. I checked the tyre pressures (which were fine) and rode it straight to the MOT station.

For 10 weeks, I wouldn't even disconnect the battery unless you've got non OEM accessories fitted that might drain the battery. (I've got an INNOVV camera fitted to the tiger and that drains the battery slightly)

Recent Topics