Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Scottoiler Chain Motorcycle V System Triumph Tiger 800 Xrx 2018  (Read 1052 times)

Offline DisqoG

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800XRx
Re: Scottoiler Chain Motorcycle V System Triumph Tiger 800 Xrx 2018
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 04:15:45 AM »
Just installed the Tutoro Auto oiler on my 18 800XRx LSH.
LOOKS AWESOME!!
No electric, no vacuum just motion sensor activated cut-off valve with a needle valve flow control - has a nice feature utilizing red dots to indicate the shut off point which I plan to use (at least when parked in my garage.)
Bit of a challenge to find the best mounting spot/position came up with the cavity left side above and behind the swing arm axle.
Mounted inboard of the upward pointing tangs also set inboard of a 1 neoprene wrapped P clamp around the bottom horizontal of the site-space. Did not use any of the mounting adaptors supplied.
I removed the top and rear-bottom chain guards for the tubing. 2 heavy & 1 medium tyraps, long on the swing arm and another on the suspension end. A few more tyraps to keep the tubing well clear of the chain yet give it a nice slack at the pivot.  :031:

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 12:29:35 PM »
+1 on the Cobra.

Just playing around with a few oil types at the moment but the beauty of this unit is that no matter what the viscosity it will meter the same.

So trying some Scott Oil at the moment, have used some shell chain oil in a sqweeze bottle (very old left over oil) and that was awesome.

Now got a small bottle of chainsaw bar oil to try, should have some more sticking power, maybe?.
Used some gear oil the first time and it went everywhere.

Also looking at my technique of when to apply, current thinking is about 10 mins before I pull up so that the chain is warm and then it has time to sit on the links before starting to ride again.

What do others think?

The other beauty of this system is that I mounted it so that I can unscrew it in a few minutes, disconnect the hose near to the unit and transfer to my other bike by just re inserting the l tube into a piece of rubber tube already set up. Pop a bolt into the Tiger rubber tube to keep it clean and away I go with my other bike.

One issue with the Tiger is the pi55y little chain guard, need to mount something to catch the oil fling up around the tail area and indicator.

Offline Ponch101

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800Xrx Low
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
Thanks for all the information. Ponch101

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »
I've recently ordered a Cobrra Nemo 2 - where are you chaps mounting yours? I am running out of space on the handlebars  :033:

:031: 

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »
Solution.

Get a small U clamp, onto the frame facing inside with a short aluminium piece, bolt onto clamp with another nut.

The rubber section immediately below mine is where I disconnect the plastic tube and fit to my other bike.

So by doing the short distance I have enough tubing for 2 bikes at least and a very short feed time = 2 or 3 minutes at best.

Then I got very fine self tapers and some thin plate or tin whatever and did very small holes into the side of the swing arm join (only 2 or 3 mm), self tappers along under the seam for protection and follows the lines.  Easy.

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 10:11:25 PM »
Cheers Newhorizons I'll give it a go  :028:

Could you please post bigger pictures as it's too small to see details properly. Cheers
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:17:55 PM by kempy »

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 12:05:16 PM »
Ps, also just fitted a piece of plastic at the end of my chain guard, about 80mm wide by about 100 long because I noticed that some oil was flicking up unto the rear guard and onto the indicator.

So I took it back near the line of the inner section of the tyre next to the rim. Back far enough for the chain to be adjusted a few times and hopefully still provide coverage.

My bike had 15000 klm on the speedo and whilst it had heaps of spray goo on the chain I dont know how far it had stretched but it is back near the last 2 adjustment bars so it is testing the coverage of the chain guard.

Probably not a issue to some but I have fitted panniers to the rear for a big trip I am planning and didn't want them to be covered in chain oil when I take them off.

And depending on weather I suspect wet conditions will also cause the oil to fling, and at the least it will need more application.

Thats why I was wondering if oiling is better late in a days ride, off the highway and with time for it to cool overnight ????

Online Mav

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
Always do mine when Im 5 minutes from home. Chain is warm so the oil soaks in nicely once its parked up.

Offline DisqoG

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800XRx
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
I set the secondary / metering valve on my Tutoro at 1/4 turn and after 2800 (4400K) mostly highway miles I just refilled the reservoir from near empty, about 2 ounces. This is after painting the rear of my Panniers, drybags, plates etc with oil when I had it open 1-1/2 turns.
Does the Scottoiler have a metering needle valve for Continuous user set flow control?

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 09:16:23 PM »
Search YouTube for FORTNINE. He did a test of all types of chain oils and waxes. You'll be surprised which came out the best. Save a fortune too 👍

Recent Topics

winded-staunch