Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Its good-but is that enough !!!  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Hen99

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xox
Its good-but is that enough !!!
« on: May 24, 2019, 10:12:30 PM »
Hi All
Just been out for a Friday night blast and well must admit I found the 'Tiger' a little lacking.  :156: :156: Yup all was not well :084:
You see it went like this--- The back roads in Mid-Norfolk on a Friday night can be nice and quiet  , So I was chugging along in top gear maybe 50-55 , all was well  :152:
After 20 miles or so it was time to head home , I joined a main through route and soon spotted a headlight catching fast , he passed me at maybe 20-25 mph faster than  I was going , It was a MT-10.and he was giving it some , I knew the road well and settled on 5 mins of mad-ness     :157:( NO more) He pulled in behind a van and me knowing the road -passed them both :001: I led him for maybe 100m then he  passed.  me  and was  off again .
I throttled back and continued home- Now I know what you all think   :182: and you would be right ---and wrong at the same time -- I didn't go that fast It wasn't about racing (We all need to let off steam and some places are better than others,) I was more concerned with what I had discovered  :156: Yup the Tiger is not really suited for a quick blast -- It does not clear the cobwebs !!!, It is a good bike , its comfortable , economical , good at touring and two up, but for a Friday night blast ---No , I hate to say it but it a Ford Focus  :156: A great everyday vehicle but lacks that bit of magic !!! Perhaps its the name that's wrong -- its not a 'Tiger'---  more a pussycat
 :300:

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Its good-but is that enough !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 07:53:06 AM »
Well you're never going to keep ut with an MT10 on any public road that has straight bits longer than 100m

But you can certainly hustle the Tiger along if you want

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Rogue_Shadow

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 01:05:37 PM »
I think youve got the wrong tool for the job  :300:

Tiger 800
Weight 208KG
Power: 94bhp
Max Torque: 58 ft-lb

MT10
Weight: 210KG
Power: 158bhp
Max Torque: 82 ft-lb

(As per specs on MCN)

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 01:40:38 PM »
Eh up matey
As they say, 'orses fer courses..., so I think you may have the wrong 'orse.
However, there are some members on here who can make their little Tigers "sing", but they're never going to be MT-10's
There's also a cheeky little Ford Focus out there with 2 letters after it's name, and I wouldn't call it boring - I think there's an R and an S in there somewhere.
I think you're expecting too much from your present steed; maybe a re-think?
And god said, "Come forth."...., but I came fifth and won a teapot.

Offline Cats

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 03:15:49 PM »
Get the pig up to the redline for a bit.  :192:

Offline Hobbes-II

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 10:46:30 AM »
You don't say what revs / gearing you were using when trying to keep up with him, but at 50-55 mph I wouldn't be higher than 4th, or 3rd if I was trying a bit harder.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 11:56:20 AM »
If you don't like the bike bitching on a Forum will not change anything. Put your hand in your pocket and pull out your wallet and buy a bike the better suits your emotional needs.
Simple really.

Offline coddy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 12:14:53 PM »
There's plenty of bikes with a lot more power than the Tiger 800, some of them are Adventure style too. If you want to play boy racer with a Super Naked then I suggest you get down the dealers and look for a trade in.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 12:27:51 PM »
so the decision seems to be
trade in yer leathers with the speed hump, accept the testosterone fuelled machismo that 'none shall pass' mantra is behind you and enjoy riding
OR
go buy a crotch rocket, accept the hump the tank riding position, give up on being able to use your wrists (which Im led to believe is a major problem for the speed bump leather clad tank humpers out there. After all if their wrists are knackered after a ride what else can they do in an evening  :492: and enjoy riding
OR
buy a crotch rocket to complement the Tiger and enjoy the best of both worlds.
when you want to set a new A47 speed record take the crotch rocket out. 

Offline Oldbear

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XRT
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »
The folks have summed it up pretty well.  If you want the fastest bike out there youre on the wrong machine.   If you want a great all rounder the little Tiger is tough to beat.   As for being slow or boring, I just dont think so.   Our little bike puts out more power than any bike built a few decades ago, and I dont ever recall being bored on my KZ1000R or my 900 SS.  YMMV

Recent Topics