Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Its good-but is that enough !!!  (Read 2456 times)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Its good-but is that enough !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 12:00:19 AM »
You can't replace a lack of capability with more horsepower. It just gets worse.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 01:51:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
You can't replace a lack of capability with more horsepower. It just gets worse.

:008: :008:

Offline Hen99

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xox
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 10:01:51 PM »
Now come on chaps , Everybodys' all being very defensive of the little Tiger .  In this world do we all not 'Want our cake and eat it' I don't remember saying the Tiger was slow or even boring -( of course I never expected to keep up with an MT-10 )In fact for 95% of rides its very,  very  good - Its just , well  when you have ridden a 1200 , you think wouldn't it be nice to have that performance in a smaller package - Perhaps a XRS (sport) with another 15-20  horses at the top end  . Ok it will never happen , Triumph would rather you invest 15k in a 1200,
 So I think once the good wife stops wanting to come for a ride , I will p/x it for something with a little more go
 :300:

Offline coddy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 10:15:48 PM »
We are not being defensive, we are just pointing out you are riding a middleweight Adventure bike that is not hiding the fact it produces a maximum of 94bhp.

You seem to be criticising the bike for being something it is not or even claims to be!

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 10:53:46 PM »
I had a Tracer 900 before the Tiger 800, 20hp more made it too sporty, the Tiger 800 is more real world, if I thrashed the Tracer through 2,3,4th,gears I was on the high side of 130....its just more than I want....that's not defending the Tiger, its just saying what I want, I just don't need more than 100hp  ...which is maybe not what you want...

Offline Faris

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: CB400X
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 04:27:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
I had a Tracer 900 before the Tiger 800, 20hp more made it too sporty, the Tiger 800 is more real world, if I thrashed the Tracer through 2,3,4th,gears I was on the high side of 130....its just more than I want....that's not defending the Tiger, its just saying what I want, I just don't need more than 100hp  ...which is maybe not what you want...

I'm looking to purchase either a Tracer 900 or Tiger 800.

How do you feel downgrading from Tracer to Tiger? Is it more than sufficient for you?

Offline coddy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »
I've never ridden a Tracer 900 but the road tester in MCN wasn't happy on its comfort levels. Something to think about if you ever ride more than 150 miles/240km in a day.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hen99 [+]
Now come on chaps , Everybodys' all being very defensive of the little Tiger .  In this world do we all not 'Want our cake and eat it' I don't remember saying the Tiger was slow or even boring -( of course I never expected to keep up with an MT-10 )In fact for 95% of rides its very,  very  good - Its just , well  when you have ridden a 1200 , you think wouldn't it be nice to have that performance in a smaller package - Perhaps a XRS (sport) with another 15-20  horses at the top end  . Ok it will never happen , Triumph would rather you invest 15k in a 1200,
 So I think once the good wife stops wanting to come for a ride , I will p/x it for something with a little more go

The bike you're looking for is a Tiger Sport, but whether you will go any quicker on it is a matter only you can answer  :138:

I've had a 2011 800, then the 1050 Sport and a 2015 Explorer, yes in a straight line the 135-140 BHP of the Explorer wins hands down, but it's not +4,500 better than the 2019 800 I have now, which is largely why I went for it, but the real world has traffic and corners and I can honestly say that my 2019 800, with its lower first gear shifts off the line and everywhere else far more sprightly than the Sport, or Explorer.

At last year's Megameet we all had to work hard (I was on the Explorer) to keep up with the lead rider on an older 800.

My "just going to work" time trial record for all three previous bikes, on a mix of roads and speed limits was 18.8 miles in 17.5mins on the 2011 800, neither the Sport, nor the Explorer got remotely close.

I'm guessing, as is often the case that either your expectations exceed your wallet, or it's a simple case of "operator error"  :017: 

I prefer a nice lean steak to a lump of stodgy cake anytime  :001:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 05:04:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
I've never ridden a Tracer 900 but the road tester in MCN wasn't happy on its comfort levels. Something to think about if you ever ride more than 150 miles/240km in a day.

ive ridden 650 miles in a day on the Tracer, comfort is subjective and will vary with rider size etc...impossible to tell from 1 road testers view.... the Tiger gives me numb backside after 200 miles..... :027:

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 05:09:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Faris [+]
I'm looking to purchase either a Tracer 900 or Tiger 800.

How do you feel downgrading from Tracer to Tiger? Is it more than sufficient for you?

yes its more than sufficient, i'm enjoying it more, Tracer has more hp and torque, but the Tiger is no slouch, the extra hp of the Tracer is mostly not usable in the real world, however, the Tracer is still a good all round bike, but the Tiger just fits me better, best you have a test ride on both......

Recent Topics

winded-staunch