Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Increase in service cost  (Read 749 times)

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Pro
Increase in service cost
« on: May 25, 2019, 06:20:25 PM »
Called to book the the new tiger in for 6k service. Nearly double what my previous Tiger was. Previous Tiger 6k cost under 200. New Tiger 6k been told 399 if nothing needs doing. Been told that Triumph have increased the labour time needed to service the bike. Nothing to do with latest model!! I feel an email coming on to customer service and may be a change of bike! 400 for a bloody oil change! Wtf. Called a different dealer and they said the same thing. KTM maybe on the cards!!  :023:

Offline Bulldogfour

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT '17
Re: Increase in service cost
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 07:18:20 PM »
Blade Swindon quoted 800 for the 12k service earlier this week!
Bikes previous: NSU Quickly moped; Honda C50; Honda 305 scrambler; Yamaha RD350 (x2); Suzuki GT380; Honda NX250; Harley Sportster 1200; Yamaha TDM900; Yamaha 1300 cruiser; Honda CB600F5 Hornet; FJR1300 (x2); Triumph Explorer.

Bikes now: Triumph Tiger 800XRT - one bike less than optimum!

Offline skinneroo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger road
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 07:22:22 PM »
Just a p**s take. :023:

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:30:56 PM »
Just do it yourself and save 350

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline skinneroo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger road
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 07:38:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
Just do it yourself and save 350

:493: +1

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 08:29:33 PM »
I would if it wasn't for the stamp in the book and the warranty. Id be interested to know what has changed to warrant the increase in labour time? Apparently it applies to all generation of Tigers? Anyone know the address of who to email at Hinkley so i can vent my frustration?

Offline Wight Biker

• Tiger Pro
  • Never too old to ride.....
  • Bike: Tiger 800 R
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 08:51:35 PM »
Guess MuddySump is going to be even busier. I'd better book him now for next years service.

Offline Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT 2018
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 11:22:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by nobsta [+]
Called to book the the new tiger in for 6k service. Nearly double what my previous Tiger was. Previous Tiger 6k cost under 200. New Tiger 6k been told 399 if nothing needs doing. Been told that Triumph have increased the labour time needed to service the bike. Nothing to do with latest model!! I feel an email coming on to customer service and may be a change of bike! 400 for a bloody oil change! Wtf. Called a different dealer and they said the same thing. KTM maybe on the cards!!  :023:

John Bloor Donated 570,000 to the Conservative party in 2018 and the Tiger Xrt went up in price by 300 shortly before I bought mine. I guess we are all contributors indirectly.

Regards
Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT, Tiger 800 XrX low. 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 12:25:48 AM »
I have experienced both sides of this discussion. I have been a field service guy who worked in a flat rate situation. I am also a guy who pays for mechanical services that I can't accomplish. The main problem is "flat rate" pricing. I was able to bill 16 to 20 hours in an 8 hour day if the jobs were easy. The issue is that flat rates are based on the dumbest most inexperienced mechanic that ever walked the earth. If you paid the actual hours x shop rate your bill would almost certainly be lower.

I guess the bottom line for me is, if you have a good independent mechanic who bills actual hours, treat them well. OK, I'll hush up now. 

Offline restandplay

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCx
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 09:35:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tiggerton [+]
John Bloor Donated 570,000 to the Conservative party in 2018 and the Tiger Xrt went up in price by 300 shortly before I bought mine. I guess we are all contributors indirectly.

Regards

Yes it is really Maggie Thatchers fault why servicing costs are high in the North of England. The simple answer is advise Jeremy Corbyn and if you can convince him that he will gain a few votes he will not only guarantee an increase in the mechanics wage but also put  freeze on prices or better reduce them. I think the very least that should be done is for an investigation to be carried out to establish if the dealership actual makes
 a profit and if so they should be charged and taken to court.

Down South we tend to go somewhere else if the price is too high or the service lacks but then some (mostly cloth cap wearers) do say we are a strange lot!

Derek
Modify message
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:47:41 AM by restandplay »

Recent Topics