Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Annoying front Rattle  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Pockets

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
Annoying front Rattle
« on: May 27, 2019, 06:29:34 PM »
Hi. Can anyone help with a very annoying rattle coming from the front of my 800 Tiger. Im convinced its the front mud guard, it changes tone depending on the type of tarmac surface Im travelling over. Ive taken it off several times looking for telltale signs of any rubbing but there is no sign anywhere, should there be any other fittings between the mud guard arms and the shocker protectors? I was thinking there should be some kind of washer (not steel) to take up any vibration between the plastic surfaces. Im tempted to remove it altogether and go for a ride to eliminate any chance of it coming from another source (ie the plastic radiator guard)
Once again your thoughts will be appreciated.

Offline Broadway

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
Re: Annoying front Rattle
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 06:51:15 PM »
OK, maybe useful maybe not.
My 2015 Thruxton 900 developed an annoying rattle from the front that I was convinced was the mudguard or similar.
After much messing turned out to be play in the disc bobbins allowing the disc to rattle over some road surfaces.
Then it had only done 9k from new, got it replaced eventually by Triumph before end of warranty

Offline rayjay

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XRX DR400
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 07:25:03 PM »
Check the radiator guard, they sometimes work loose

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 10:22:33 PM »
Loose headstem bearings?, brake pads?
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline V2T

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCa
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 11:15:35 PM »
Check the brake lines where they pass the mudguard.

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples Rule !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 04:34:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pockets [+]
... should there be any other fittings between the mud guard arms and the shocker protectors?
Answer No, but check that shocker protectors black clips (at the top) are hooked in place on the mudgaurd ... also check brake lines are clipped in place ...  :031:
My My, How Time Flies ... 61 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2020 !

Offline Pockets

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 05:49:44 PM »
Thanks for the helpful replies, I've tried all of your suggestions and none have made any difference. I'm leaning towards it being tyre noise, it can be silent on really smooth tarmac but very noisy on the type of road that has the chippings for a surface.
I've also checked the tyre pressures and they appear to be correct (36/42) it's fitted with Pilot Road 4Trail tyres, I'm not very up on tyres but has anybody else had experience with this particular brand?
I hope I can find a cure because it's becoming very annoying.
Once again thanks for your reply's.

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples Rule !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 06:56:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pockets [+]
.... it's fitted with Pilot Road 4Trail tyres.

There is the answer to your problem ! ... I endure the same noise problem, and other have posted the same problem using PR 4's ... One post even said their PR 5's were even noisier. :183:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:58:06 PM by prenticemarie »
My My, How Time Flies ... 61 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2020 !

Offline Pockets

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 07:34:41 PM »
Looks like that's the answer, I've just gone back and looked at previous posts on these PR4s and they do appear to be a noisy tyre. It's going to be the main topic of conversation whenever I go up to Squires or other bike meets, but a least it's put my mind at rest just, have to buy better ear plugs!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 03:27:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by prenticemarie [+]
... and other have posted the same problem using PR 4's ... One post even said their PR 5's were even noisier. :183:

Yes
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,21401.0.html

... and just before the recent Megameet had a Road 5 front fitted and even noisier than the PR4. The level of noise is certainly surface type dependant. However the tyres stick like the proverbial sh*t to a blanket. I still may try something else when both front and rear arrive at needing renewal at the same time.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics