Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oxford Montreal 3.0 Not Waterproof  (Read 741 times)

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015 800 XCx
Oxford Montreal 3.0 Not Waterproof
« on: June 16, 2019, 01:37:43 PM »
I bought my 2015 Tiger 800 XCx a little over a week ago, before buying it I bought full gear for me and my Mrs (Oxford Montreal 3.0)
When I picked the bike up from Swindon and rode it 180 miles back to Doncaster I got absolutely soaked! The Oxford clothing just absorbed all the water even tho they sell as Waterproof??
Am I missing something here? I have since waterproofed them with Fenwicks awning water proofer which is rubbish and have just finished using Fabsil on them now. Fingers crossed they will be more waterproof tomorrow.
Has anyone else had the same experience? 

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Oxford Montreal 3.0 Not Waterproof
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 02:36:13 PM »
How did you waterproof them, the waterproof membrane is sandwiched in-between the inner lining & outer shell on those suits.

Spraying the outer with waterproofing might help stop some of the water getting through to the waterproof membrane but not help the breathability. The problem is with the membrane.

Is it the jacket, pants or both letting in?
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 03:04:18 PM »
That makes sense it being a waterproof membrane, the jacket body kept the water out but the arms let water through and the crotch and top of the legs on the trousers got absolutely saturated.
Dont get me wrong it was a extremely wet day but I was instantly wet, I did get caught in a small shower again on Friday evening only going 15miles up the road to a relatives and again everything soaked water up which is why Ive water proofed everything now.

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »
Ive waterproofed them by brushing Fabsil on now

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 04:22:24 PM »
The membrane is not laminated to the outer but the fabsil will likely help.
Edit: I thought it was a loose membrane at the price, it is laminated membrane to outer, should be good waterproofing, not as breathable as Goretex but ok waterproof.

I've been looking at some laminated Goretex clobber, by 'eck that's expensive. Might go back to leathers & a boil int bag oversuit, tis the only thing that works for sure.

I went over to Hull 100 miles in heavy rain one day, I was a tad damp in my Triumph jacket, a couple there at the port with 1,000+ Klim suits, I says "ok for you", the boy said, "ok for one hour".
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:20:08 PM by Paulhere »

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 04:24:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]

I went over to Hull 100 miles in heavy rain one day, I was a tad damp in my Triumph jacket, a couple there at the port with 1,000+ Klim suits, I says "ok for you", the boy said, "ok for one hour".

My Klim Overlands stay bone dry, tested on a 9hr trip through France in torrential rain

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 04:30:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
My Klim Overlands stay bone dry, tested on a 9hr trip through France in torrential rain

Luck of the draw innit, I know a boy who says same about his Oxford Montreal 3.0 suit, but our OP's are not so good. I'd have took them back.

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 04:31:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
The membrane is not laminated to the outer but the fabsil will likely help stop some.

I've been looking at some laminated Goretex clobber, by 'eck that's expensive. Might go back to leathers & a boil int bag oversuit, tis the only thing that works for sure.

You wont get me spending the money on that Goretex either haha
Im sure the Fabsil will help.... Ill let you know 😁

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
 I recently purchased the Oxford Mondial laminated suit, 250 + 200.
Great in the wet. Very well ventilated in the dry
Got to try it yet on a warm and wet day.
Loving it so far.
Gets really good reviews on the net.

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 06:43:09 PM »
I gave my Oxford Montreal 3 suit away after 1st long ride, membrane was poor in either direction, clammy in the dry and useless in the wet...... brand new and I was soaked after an hours medium rain........may as well use cheap nylon oversuit, at least you are only clammy when its wet......

Recent Topics