Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A thought about gearing  (Read 370 times)

Offline Hen99

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xox
A thought about gearing
« on: June 16, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »
I must admit when I bought my pre used Tiger (2016XRX) I though it would be a bit like my last bike ( Crosstourer) only smaller. I have since realised the bike has been a lot better designed ( for its intended use  :046:) than the Crosstourer ever was  :191:   At first,   I  couldn't understand why a supposed  tourer had such a low top gear  :084: Now of course it makes sense . Triumph do not make a huge range of bike and each bike they produce must do well . So having decided to make the 800 A2 friendly , how do you give it a little extra drive or oomph - low gearing of course. My Tiger will pull top from 40mph --- Full throttle from 50 . In fact if you are a sensible ( steady !!!) law abiding Tiger owner who sticks more or less to the speed limits , out of town top gear is all you need  :152: and should you find yourself doing 68 - needing to pass a bus , a reasonable twist of the throttle will have you past in no time . Ok its very busy at 100, but then Triumph assume anybody wanting to cruise at that sort of speed will go for a 1200 .
So well done Triumph, I get it now - you have given us a bike that goes well at proper road speeds - and in these safety conscious times, there is noting wrong with that
 :300:

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
Re: A thought about gearing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:02:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hen99 [+]
I must admit when I bought my pre used Tiger (2016XRX) I though it would be a bit like my last bike ( Crosstourer) only smaller. I have since realised the bike has been a lot better designed ( for its intended use  :046:) than the Crosstourer ever was  :191:   At first,   I  couldn't understand why a supposed  tourer had such a low top gear  :084: Now of course it makes sense . Triumph do not make a huge range of bike and each bike they produce must do well . So having decided to make the 800 A2 friendly , how do you give it a little extra drive or oomph - low gearing of course. My Tiger will pull top from 40mph --- Full throttle from 50 . In fact if you are a sensible ( steady !!!) law abiding Tiger owner who sticks more or less to the speed limits , out of town top gear is all you need  :152: and should you find yourself doing 68 - needing to pass a bus , a reasonable twist of the throttle will have you past in no time . Ok its very busy at 100, but then Triumph assume anybody wanting to cruise at that sort of speed will go for a 1200 .
So well done Triumph, I get it now - you have given us a bike that goes well at proper road speeds - and in these safety conscious times, there is noting wrong with that

I feel the opposite on my 2018 XR, 6th gear is way too low, its very buzzy/busy on m/ways even at 75mph, given that theres 6 gears to play with, 6th could have been a fair bit taller, I cant imagine what Triumph were thinking, the other 5 are good, I don't want to cruise at 100, 75 is fine, as it is, 3hours on m/way is tiresome and mine is the road model, so that's not an unreasonable ask...

Offline Hen99

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xox
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 08:34:24 AM »
Hi Walt
Is yours doing 5k at 70? That gives a maybe 140 at the redline so def not overgeared.I find mine ok at motorway speeds so maybe its a personnel thing how intrusive the engine vibes are. Anybody from Triumph  here able to comment on your choice of gearing ?

Offline walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »
theres a long thread on here about this, several people have gone for 17t front sprocket to raise gearing and drop revs in 6th (I have too) some have even put smaller rear sprocket on too , I have no vibrations, its just very buzzy/busy in 6th, it just needs a taller 6th for me, 5k rpm is now about 76 mph, its better, but still busy....constantly going for 7th gear..

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 06:07:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hen99 [+]
I must admit when I bought my pre-used Tiger (2016XRX) I thought it would be a bit like my last bike...only smaller. I have since realised the bike has been a lot better designed (for its intended use)
So well done Triumph, I get it now - you have given us a bike that goes well at proper road speeds
:0461:

*Originally Posted by walt [+]
I feel the opposite on my 2018 XR, 6th gear is way too low, its very buzzy/busy on m/ways even at 75mph, given that theres 6 gears to play with, 6th could have been a fair bit taller, I cant imagine what Triumph were thinking...3hours on m/way is tiresome
The Tiger800 is (if I'm not mistaken?) generally thought of as an "all rounder". Triumph chose to modify its highly successful 675cc triple as a basis for power -- which at over 100hp/L is admiral. Horsepower is a function of time (read: revolutions/RPM) -- lower revs = less HP.
Many parameters enter into engine out-put: I was lucky enough to have ridden a bike with a cylinder head temp. gauge and noticed that whenever the throttle was opened the cylinder head temp. increased - markedly.
All things being equal, taller gearing can/may increase the work load on the engine (a negative).
Not to mention other considerations like the market's desire for sporting performance -- nor, the many emission regs...
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

winded-staunch